Family Health Expert Forum
weight loss/backache

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

weight loss/backache

I am female and 51. Last year, I was diagnosed with sludge in Gall bladder. It took almost ten weeks for diagnosis, plus six more for surgery and recovery. I was inactive and in pain or recovery for four months. I lost 42 pounds in the first nine weeks, too much too fast. 5'5", from 158 to 116. I needed to loose it, and have kept most of it off with a better diet and exercise, but ever since then, I have been suffering from horrible backache pain. About the shoulder blades down. Worst position is locked in the sitting/driving seat. Relief is from an inversion table or laying down. No escaping the pain, no matter what I do during the day. A slighter pain in the front, about the bottom of the ribs. Most of the weight lose was in the belly, and now I have a loose pot of skin just hanging there, and I assume the same loose ab muscles.I have been trying, for months, to exercise, and lift weights super slow, and do yoga for stretching, but nothing seems to stop the pain. I don't have any gi pain, or symptoms of further gi problems. Had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and heart stress test, and all okay.
   could the loose skin/muscles be causing such pain? Or might it be something else? My primary, whom I have zero confidence in, considering it took her nine weeks to diagnose the sludge, and only then when I insisted on a test to check the function of the gb, since sludge does not show up on ultrasound like stones. (Found that out on the net. she seems to have forgotten that) She has thrown up her hands, and don't want to go back to her. If it is the loose skin/muscles, is a tummy tuck the only solution? Really not looking forward to surgery again, and know at my age, I won't bounce back like I used to. Suggestions, on anything?????
There are plastic surgery procedures that can reduce the amount of skin from significant weight loss - you may want to pursue this referral.

I am not aware of any specific disorders where weight loss can cause back pain, but I would not be surprised that any drastic change in weight can exacerbate pain.  

If the pain continues through conservative measures such as physical therapy (if you haven't gone to physical therapy, I would suggest that), I would pursue a back MRI to make sure there are no problems with the discs.    

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.