We are so upset. Just got Dh sperm count back at 100,000 and motility only 32% They said to come back in 1 month for another sample. Can it really go up by millions in a month? I guess if not the option would be ICSI IVF. Could anything have affected his results? What can we do. They said to wait for the next test before seeing a urologist or anything. They also said sometimes surgery can be done on him? What does all this mean? Please help!
Do you know if DH might have a varicocele. My DH has a varicocele and I'm in the process of trying to get him to agree to surgery. Here is a link that I found useful http://www.varicoceles.com/faq.htm I think I would get another SA so you can compare the two then after that make a Urologist appt like your RE said. I know it's frustrating. I'm sorry! Hopefully if he has a varicocele they can do surgery and you can conceive naturally or by IUI. Good Luck :)
I think the surgery does have a good success rate if that's what it is. I told DH I'll wait till January to make him another Urologist appt. I hope the new Urologist says Dh should have the surgery :) I hope you have answers soon. It really $uck$ waiting for answers! I know...
I'm sorry to hear about the low counts. We are in the same boat. BUT...
My dh's last SA was 600,000 (however it was two ejacs combined). We went to the dr last month and he has two very large varicoceles. He's having surgery on the 27th and the urologist said he thinks this is dh's problem. Go to a urologist and get checked out. It can't hurt!
If its not a varicocele, all hope is not lost, what he has still has motility, that is the big thing! My DH did not have a varicocele he just has an unexplained low count, his was a little higher (26 mil.) but still low, we did anti-oxident vitamins, and an over all life style change, my hubby liked to partake in weekend drinking, sometimes he would have 2 too many! LOL Well he stopped that of course and 6 months later he was up to 60million! It more than doubled, After 5 yrs ttc we finally got our BFP! So don't give up! It only takes one! Maybe IUI would be a good option, it gets the little guys half way through the battle! Good Luck!!
Thank you so much!!! I agree DH and I are making a real effort to be healthy. He does not drink or smoke- but we are becoming totally caffeine free and are going to eat more fruits and veggies and rest more- we are always so hectic. I just got him some vitamins yesterday. I would love it if we could try IUI. Our insurance does not cover IVF and it would be about 14,000 dollars. ANy other suggestions for raising sperm count?
well everything effects sperm counts..like drinking as the girl said abovee and smoking and dope and a unhelathy lifestyle of eating and what not!! So if your hubby does any of thoes things..my advice would be to ask him to stop....Good luck tho..maby some vitamins might help and working out??
I don't wanna through a wrench in your plans, but my RE had said there really is no difference once surgery is done. He was the head of the Cleveland Clinic's fertility dept. My husband has the same issues. I agree with Houston to try meds. My husbands count has been by ten times since taking a multivitamin, zinc, folic acid, & selenium. My husband only had 4.9% motile and when we did our first iui, he had 53%. Also, he went from 1million to 9.9 million live. Just think about your options before going to surgery, b/c your DH probably is not too excited about it. Just thought I give you my input.
If it is a varicocele, I am a believer in the surgery. My DH had is done about 4 months ago and his count and motility is the highest it has ever been. His previous SA's were 35 mill, 20mill w/ 40% and one time only 10% motility. His last SA was 48mill and 85% motility. So I am believer that surgery can work for some. Have him go see a urologist.
I feel for you about this whole SA ****. My DH had two done in a month the first showed 10mil and 34% motility. The second one two weeks later showed 6mil and 17% motility. We were mortified. However we are lucky because our my insurance covers IVF 100%. So we just started are first cycle. You can visit GNC to buy Fertilaid for men. It can also be found online. It has proven to help sperm count and motility. Also he could have acupuncture done to help things out too. However the chance he could have a varicele is good so go see a urologist asap.
Thanks!! We have great insurance but unfortunately it ***** for fertility! No IVF covered. He just started a men's multivitamin. He is totally healthy- no drugs, drinking, etc. We also just made our house caffeine free- maybe that will help. We were thinking of acupuncture. I'm so worried because everyone's count that is low still seems to be in the millions. We're talking 100,000 here!!! We go back to the RE with a 2nd SA at the end of October. From there I think we should go to the urologist.
Another question- he did his sample at home- they said it was ok if we got it there within 1 hr- is this true? Could that have an effect?
I have read on here many times that fertilaid has helped.However its true with your DH fertilaid probably wont do the trick but you never know. I feel really bad for you I would start saving now for IVF. They also have financing available. If he doesn't have a varicele,and his count doesnt come up to at least 10mil then IVF will be your only choice. My RE and the urologist told us that with my DH's count being 6 mil he only has a 5% chance to father a child without IVF. So 100,000 is way worse. The urologist could tell you right away if he has a varicele just by looking a squeezing. So I wouldn't wait on that. The odds that his second SA will be in the millions are rare.
Thanks for the advice. We will see. The RE nurse said not to jump to IVF until we get the 2nd SA. It's only 2 wks away or so and then we'll take on the urology route too. On the plus side my FHS was 4.3 which they said was great and all my other day3 were fine. We are also very open to adoption so whatever the case we will have a family.
I just started my IVF protocal which includes being on birth control pills for 2 weeks then start lupron injection for 14days then gonal-f,bravelle,and menapur injections to stimulate the ovaries then around the 2nd week of November they will retrieve my eggs and do the IVF. Its a long dreaded wait of meds before you actually get to do the procedure. I'll let you know how it goes....
My Dh had a bad SA also. It was so bad we were told we could not concieve naturaly. Well, then we had another done and it was opposite. So we went to a Urologist whol told us it can change drasticaly month to m,onth. So, all is not lost yet. I have DH on Folic Acid, Zinc, Vitamin C, and Geritol. I think all that is what has helped him.
I wonder about that. The first SA my DH did he did at a hospital lab he thought it was going to be a bad sample becuase they put him in a public bathroom to give his sample and needless to say he was stressed. The result for that SA was twice as good as the one he did at home and brought to the fertility clinic. I'll be interested to get him rechecked in like 2-3months again. If we do this IVF and then find out my husband actually doesn't have a problem I will be pissed. I really wanted to make a baby the old fashioned way. But if IVF works I will be greatful too. My retrieval should be early November.
I posted earlier, that my DH had a vericocele, & how the meds I have him taking are improving his counts. I just wanna let everyone know, with the same cocktail of meds that I have him taking, instead of the 9.9 mil good ones last time, this time his count had 22 mil. It's amazing since it originally was 1 mil & now up to 22 mil live (not total ct), with NO surgery.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.