Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
4 miscarriages and blood clotting disorders

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Hi everyone!
I found out yesturday that, for the 4th time, I've lost my preguinancy. I was suppost to be 11 weeks but had an ultrasound done and  there was no heart beat. The doctor said that the fetus was about 7 weeks old  when it happen.
I also found that I have a disease called Blood Clotting disorders. My fertility doctor did not said anything to me, but my OBGYN saw the results and was concern about it.
Did anybody have the same problem? If so, what did you do. Is there a light?
So sorry for your losses. Yes you can take injections for clotting. Or if it is not too severe you can take one baby aspirin a day to think your blood. Get tested for what disorder it is and good luck.
Thank you so much for your advice. I'll talk about it with my doctor next week.
Best regards,
Gi
I am so sorry for your loss.  It's even worse to find out that you were just tested now for the clotting disorder.  YOu should find out which one it is though.  The disease itself is a clotting disorder but there are numerous ones.  I was just diagnosed with 2 mutations of MTHFR (the disease)  I am taking it upon myself to also go to a hemotoligst (blood dR) I have an appt tomorrow am.  At this time I am just on folbic acid (prescription)  I am curious to hear about what specialist will say.  
Hi Kricket212,
Thank u so much.
I'm 40, and I've done 2 failed IUI  and 1 IVF last December ( 2009). Also my 3 first miscarriages were natural pregnancies, but I was much younger. I was never  diagnosed with blood clotting disorders before. Althought, this runs in my
family. My IVF Dr didn't say anything about it. I just found out after I starded my pre-care with my OBGYN, but she said that wasn't a poblem at all. I've been reading a lot about this problem after I did my procedure, and I think this could be the cause of my miscarriages. By the way. How was your appt? What did the Dr say?
I had my appt today & pretty upset.  I knew about the MTHFR-2 muations of c677T.
The Dr also told me I have tested positive for PAI-1 & was never informed by my RE about this one.  I was told to take baby aspirin prior to conceiving & continue. Also, once pregnant to take lovenox daily (40mg) for the whole pregnancy.  She would notify the RE.   I am just so scared.  I hope someone else reads this & tells me that they carried a baby to term with these disorders.  If I were you I would go to another Dr on your own also.  Just get copy of results & go............that is what I did.  Nobody told me to go to a hemotoligst.  I just can't bare to go thru another m/c (had only one)  I am also going to a genetic Dr next friday.  Let me know what you decide.
I am so sorry to hear about the lossess.  One of my best friends lost a baby to miscarriage back in 02/2008 due to a blood clotting disorder that she was unaware she had.  She basically began experiencing pain, shortness of breath and couldn't really breathe at abut 6 weeks.  Went to the ER.  After being there for  half a day, they still could tell her what was wrong.  In the meantime, they could not send her home as she was getting worse with the shortness of breath, etc.  Finally they had her sign a waiver and said there was no other choice but to get a CT scan done to see if they can pinpoint the problem.  She was afraid as she was not sure what it would do the baby.  All in all, she had no choice.  So immediately during the scan they saw she had a massive blood clot in her lungs that if it had discharged, would have been fatal.  They immediately started her on blood thinners....

All of that to say at 13 weeks she had a miscarriage and they said the baby measure around 6.5-7 weeks.  Most likely due to the liquid injected to do the scan that basically saved her life.....

All in all, she was put on blood thinner injectibles and was told once ready to ttc again to immediately start the injections once she know for sure she is BFP.  I am glad to say that she is 39 weeks pregnant now with a baby girl that we all just can't wait to see and welcome into the world.

So have faith, stay  on top of the doctors and your meds so you can successfully carry your bundle of joy and bring them into this world....

xo,
marline
My OBGYN said that the only thing I need is folic acid, and I've taking for more than an year. I'm going to see a hematologist too.
xoxo
Gi
Which blood clotting disorder do you have?  There are so many?  If you really believe that is what is causing the m/c how come you are not taking lovenox or heparin?
Also, if it's in your family then I would demand that they test for it.  
I really believe it, but I had m/c last tuesday, and my next appt is 3/9 with OBGYN and my IVF Doc too. I just spoke with my OBGYN and she can't afirm anything without talk to the IVF doc. because he did the tests not her. She told me that I shouldn't try to interprete the test, that's for me wait for the next appt, but what I see here is the same what you have. I just remembered that right after my last m/c (2004) my doc. gave me baby aspirin too, I have to tell my new doc. about this.
Have you ever heard about "NK" (Naturall Killer cell)? http://autoimmunedisease.suite101.com/article.cfm/nk_cells_in_pregnancy
Anyways, I'll let you know when I have some news.
These are special blood tests that are never done until after m/c.  They don't test for this stuff when you are starting IVF.  When I just had them done mid Jan they took about 13 vials of blood.  How come you are dealing with OB & RE?  I would consentrate on one & then go to specialist for the blood disorder for whatever they diagnos you with.  Also, how come they did not put you on lovenox or heparin?
My hubby and I are very upset w the IVF doc. because he said that all tests came back good. That's gonna be our first question to him. Why did he hide about this blood test? The OB said that's because it is not severe and the other tests came out good. Whatever, we are very picky now...I can't try again until they say some thing concrete.
I didn't read thru all the replies but I wanted to let you know that I have the blood clotting disorder and I have elevated Protein S and Protein C.  I had 3 miscarriages and then the doctor put me on Heparin starting before we got pregnant and I got pregnant the next month and I had a healthy baby girl :-)  I just had my second child, another little girl :-)  I took 1 baby aspirin and heparin shots 2 times a day.  Hope this helps!
Hi...I have  friend that gave birth and used lovenox throughout her pregnancy...he wAs a premmie but now very healthy at 6 months. Research a great dr. In ur area cuz in really makes a huge difference..good luck to all
You made my Sunday much happier after hearing your storie. Congrats!!!! Where are u? I'm in Boston and going throu Boston IVF. I want to go seeing another doc.
I'm very confused right now. My boss is a cancer doc and I showed her my tests, she said that is a very rare blood disorder and she thinks that there  is no medication for that just folic acid. I thought that I have the same what you have (c677T MUTATION and A1298C MUTATION). I guess I have to wait until 3/9 for my next appt.
How're u doing? When are u gonna try again?
Giane