Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
5 Day Blastocyst Transfer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

5 Day Blastocyst Transfer

Hi all!  I am new to IVF and to this forum.  I'm super glad that I found it.  It's really comforting to be connected with others going through the same thing.

I'm wondering how many of you have done a 5 day blastocyst transfer and gotten pregnant?

Here's our story:

I am 32 and we have been trying for six years to get pregnant.  Got pregnant once five years ago and miscarried at 6 weeks.  Haven't been able to get pregnant since.  We adopted a baby boy last year (who is the light of our lives!) and decided to try the IVF route to see if we can get pregnant.  To our surprise, we had male and female fertility issues.  

Our retrieval was 12/12 and they retrieved 29 eggs - 27 mature!  And 17 of them were successfully fertilized thanks to ICSI!  I heard these are really good numbers.  

After the retrieval, I actually hyperstimmed and was on bed rest for a week because of it.  They almost postponed our transfer, but we decided to go through with it anyway so that we could give the fresh one a try this cycle.

We transferred one really strong blastocyst on 12/17.  My doctor suggested we only transfer one because I'm young and the blastocyst was so strong - was already hatching out.  

I took a hpt on 12/24 and it was negative.  I was devastated because it was Christmas Eve and I had SO wanted a "Christmas miracle" to share with our family.  I truly (honestly) thought it would be positive!! I cried and cried, but my husband told me to not count too much on it and wait until my bt, which is tomorrow.

I'm a little nervous because my doctor told me that if I got pregnant, the hyperstimulation would get worse (due to rising hcg levels), but it's totally gone away.  

Our BT is tomorrow morning and I'm nervous since our hpt was negative on day 7pt.  But I am still hopeful.  

I just can't imagine going through all of this and NOT getting pregnant!!  Why would IVF not work when the conditions seem so perfect?  I can't comprehend!  It seems like all I've ever known for the past five years are NEGATIVE pregnancy tests and heartache after heartache because of that.  Sometimes I feel like we've spent just as much money on hpt as we did for the IVF!! (I know that's a bit of an exaggeration - but, you know!)

I guess I just came here to find some support and talk with others who have been through this emotional roller coaster.

I am hopeful and prayerful.  

I will let you know what the BT is tomorrow!!
while still possible, getting a negative hpt  at the equivalent of 12 dpo is usually not a good sign.  
no one knows why IVFdoes not work, especially in textbook cycles that everything looks perfect.  with IVF, they can control fertlization, but they cannot control implantation or development.
so sometimes it takes more than one try, even with embies that look perfect.
not sure what adoption route you took, but after 3 years of trying to get a baby home from china, we went back to fertility treatments.  i found IVF way less emotionally difficult than the adoption process if that is any comfort to you.
and with frozen embies, at least if you do have to do another cycle, it will be much easier on you without the stims and retrieval the next round.
good luck, and miracles do happen (i am 40 weeks 2 days pregnant with our first)
Good luck on your blood work!  I hope you get that bfp!!  just rest assured though,if  it doesn't always happen on the first try, it WILL happen!!! ... so many ladies on here have had success with frozen embryo's and with there 2nd or 3rd fresh transfer.  I am not trying to bring you down, I am just trying to give you hope if this time doesn't work.  I think it's amazing btw that you adopted! : )
Well ... BFN and I am devastated.  I'm taking it harder than I thought I would. :(  I don't understand why it didn't work - the conditions were perfect - our blastocyst was perfect and hatching out of the shell.  I'm feeling like a failure, yet again, in my life.  Why cant my body do the one thing it was created to do?  :(

We have two frozen blastocysts, so we can try again.  But I'm almost even hesitant after all we've been through and then to get the BT results today.  I had been SO hopeful and was SO sure it'd be positive.  

I haven't cried this much in a long (LONG!) time!
Don't give up until your beta. Blood tests are more sensitive than most HPT.  Also you are very lucky to have frozen blasts.  I had 6 on day 5.  We transferred 2, and the other 4 didn't make it to freezing.  I am your age 33.  I would say that if it doesn't work this time, and you aren't opposed to the possibility of twins, transfer your two snowbabies next time.  My RE has a 70% success rate with 2, and 50% if only 1.  I know every clinic is different and they all have different success rates.  Make sure you are going to one with really high success rates.  I had two transferred and I found out today that I am pregnant.  Won't know with one or 2 until a couple weeks.  I'm a natural twin, and I can tell you there is nothing like the bond I have with my twin brother.  If it didn't work out this time, remember things seem to have a way of working out.  It could be that your perfect baby (babies) is (are) in the freezer!  Good luck tomorrow and in the future!!
Thanks wishing!  It was my beta that I had this morning.  They called with the negative result at 1:00.  

Our clinic is one of the top 7 in the nation, so that's good.  Our doctor is also one of the top in the country - he has been on Oprah twice as a fertility expert, etc.  

I actually can't transfer two because I am already considered high risk (I have a myriad of health complications, including rheumatoid arthritis), and so they won't transfer more than 1 because of that.  

We also had six blastocysts on day five.  Transferred the one (which was perfect - breaking out of the shell, etc.  Still baffled as to why it didn't work).  We had two others that made it to freezing.  So that's the good part.  We have two that are frozen.  We can try again.

But still, I need to mourn the loss of this one first.  And that's what I'm doing.  I'll be okay.  I just need to grieve for a couple of days.  Then we can move on!!

Good luck to you!  Congrats on your pregnancy!
I am sorry to hear about your bfn.  Take time, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again.  It WILL happen!  Please believe that!  I have seen it so often on this site.... over and over.  You just can't give up!  
May I ask what clinic you are going to?  Sounds wonderful!!!
So sorry to read about your negative results. I also am baffled by thet process and why a perfect looking blast does not implant. I did my first fresh IVF in May. i did get pregnant but m/c at 7 weeks due to a chromosomal abnormality. that was the worst! We had 4 frozen blasts and did a frozen transfer earlier this month. I was sure it was going to work but I got a negative as well. It's really devastating. You mentioned you have RA. Did your dr put you on prednisone or have any insight into how that could be affecting your fertility? I have a thyroid autoimmune issue and i am convinced this is what is messing with my trying to get pregnant. I got pregnant very easily with my son before I got the autoimmune disease. I took prednisone with my fresh IVF and got pregnant (even tho i m/c) with my frozen transfer i did not take the steroid because i wound up getting sick the night before the transfer so i stopped taking it because it shuts down your immune system. Who knows if this is really what is causing my infertility but everything else seems to be fine with me (and my hubby is fine too) so i just don't get it. did you get any other antibody blood tests done that came back positive?