Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
50mg VS 100mg Clomid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

50mg VS 100mg Clomid

I am getting ready to start my second round of clomid.  Last month I was on 50mg CD 3-7.  On this dose, I got 1 follicle that measured 22mm on CD 14.  I got a trigger shot on CD 15 and I O'd on CD 16.

This time around I'll be on 100mg CD 3-7.  

I was just curious if there is any difference being on 100mg--ie. side effects, follicle growth, pregnancy chances, etc?

I'll have my appoinment this month on CD 13 (because CD 14 is a Saturday) and I'm hoping to have a good enough sized follicle that I can have my trigger shot then.

BTW--just a weird fact...last month, the trigger shot stayed in my system for 17 days, so I unfortunately got several false-positives!  Yikes!
That was definitely weird on the trigger staying for so long. Do you have any history of chemical pregnancies? The reason I ask is it seemed the hcg was climbing before it dropped.

My dr doesn't even rx 50mg. Says 100 is the place to start. I'm on a break from it right now, but did get pg on 100. Unfortunately, it was short lived.
I've always taken 50 mg, but my problem isn't ovulation.  I apparently have some mechanical issue where the sperm just aren't getting where they need to naturally.  So we do IUI and the clomid is just to time everything correctly.  The last two rounds at 50 mg clomid, I had EIGHT mature follicles.  Yes, EIGHT!  *faint*  If I tried 100 mg I suspect I'd get OHSS.

Several years ago, I started on 50 mg and had six mature follicles the first time, with no luck.  The second round I had two mature follicles, and BOTH took!  

I do know several people who had had lots of luck moving from 50 mg to 100 mg, or even 150 mg, especially if ovulation is the problem.

Good luck to you!
I took 50 mg last month and got a BFN.  I had two mature follicles and one that was 17.5.  Today is CD2 for me.  I am going in tomorrow for clomid days 3-7 so sounds like we are on the same schedule.  I'm not sure if he is going to increase mine though b/c I seem to have responded well. I'm not sure why they would increase it if you also had a mature follicle.  I guess I will see what they are going to do with me tomorrow.  I think the side effects are the same as the 50..good luck tomorrow!
I am on my second cycle of Clomid 50mg. With the first cycle I took my BBT to see when I was ovulating. My temp never spiked dramatically but went up a couple degrees, however after it spiked a little it stayed at that temp the rest of the cycle. Unfortunatlly the first round did end in pregnancy. I just started my second round 3 days ago, and I am hoping this time works. I have read a lot of Clomid success stories. And my sister had to take 3 rounds of Clomid before becoming pregnant. So wish me luck ladies. Good luck to all of you trying & congrats to those of you who have been blessed with beautiful children!
Thanks for sharing your stories, they are very helpful and uplifting in most cases.
I am on my second month of taking clomid 50mg (we are in BD stage)  

I have absolutely no side effects from clomid.....is that weird?

I did not ovulate the first month and we shall see about this month.  I also have PCOS and will be asking my doc to ad Metformin to my monthly drugs.

I take provera to get my period, Clomid for ovulation because i don't on my own :-(
I just finished my first round of clomid 50mg CD 5-9 and I had no success in O'ing. I did my BBT also and saw nothing. I went to my RE app last week and she checked my levels, but I did not O. She is uping my clomid dose to 100mg next month. I really hope it works this time. I go in this week for a pelvic exam, Is this a weird time to check since I didn't O??

SSBD