8 follies and timed intercourse
Ok, so my doctor told me today (CD14) that she has never seen someone produce 8 mature follicles with Clomid. She told me that I had way too many and not to take my trigger shot or have intercourse. I went home and talked it over with my husband and we decided we just couldn't let this cycle go to waste. We've been trying for over six years, and found out I have PCOS in 2005. We decided to do the trigger today and then had intercourse, and we plan to go forward with whatever happens. My question is...how likely is it that all 8 eggs will fertilize? We couldn't possibly get pregnant with more than two or three, right? Especially since we aren't doing IUI.
ignoring your doctor's recommendation is not a good idea....
it is possible you would release and have 8 fertilize (heard of "octomom"?)
it is also possible that none will, or anything in between.
higher order multiples risk your health, as well as that of all of the babies in question
this is why doctors cancel cycles and refuse to implant more than a certain number of embryos in IVF, etc.
don't be suprised if your doctor is not happy with you and some will actually ask you to leave the practice with such blatant disregard for their opinions/orders.
Well we had I/C on the doctor's recommendation before we found out how many there were, and she said she wouldn't be surprised if I did O on my own because my follies were ready, so the only thing she doesn't have to know about is the trigger. We aren't going to tell her, so I hardly think that will be a problem.

Yes I have heard of Octomom...but she did IVF, not timed intercourse. Anyway, er, thanks for your "advice" / :
What's done is done, right?  Hopefully you'll get one or two and not six or seven...You are 30 so I don't know what you're chances are...if you were late 30s or early 40s I'd say you are probably safe and only one or two would fertilize
might be totally wrong but i thought you needed the trigger to get them all to go. i did not think you could make enough hcg on your own??? if you are going for bloodwork 5 DPO to check prog levels she will find out.
I don't blame or judge you for not following your doctor's orders.  I remember thinking the same when my RE told us that a cycle would be cancelled if we had too many follies cookin.... of course we all know the risks involved in multiples, but sometimes the longing to get pregnant overpowers logic.  well guess what, I had 3 mature follies last cycle and none fertilized and 2 the last 2 cycles..... and I am 31.  I believe Octomom got her IVF done out of the country, am I right?  
Anyways, wishing at least one or two will fertilize for you:) keep me posted!
I hope it all works out for you. If you get any symptoms of OHSS you should definitely call your doctor and be truthful, though, as it can be very serious. My doctor was worried I might get OHSS on one of my clomid cycles when I responded really strongly. Having lots of follicles and also having PCOS put you at higher risk. Good luck!

Thank you everyone. I will certainly keep a sharp eye out for any signs of OHSS, and I will call the doctor and tell her everything if it comes to that. I am praying that at the most three fertilize and implant...but I am a strong believer in God's will, and so I know he will take care of us. Maybe our baby wishes did overcome our logic, but like what was said, what's done is done. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Rebecca
Good Luck! I wouldve done the same thing as you..I had an IUI in March and I have 5 eggs and they talked to me about the risk and we still went ahead and had the IUI..but if they wouldve canceled it I still wouldve Bd'd at home..
Oh btw I didnt get preggo with the IUI..so its all up in the air what will happen...
Well so far so good. I haven't had any symptoms of OHSS and I feel pretty good. I just have sore and full-feeling boobs and some AF-like cramping. Also I've been getting very nauseous at night for the past two days, and I am 7DPO today.

Rebecca
Good Luck to you although I am with the other ladies & don't think it was the best idea. Even though Octo mom did IVF......
Kate plus eight got pregnant via IUI.  Anything is possible.......
Yes...anything is possible, but we are hoping for the best!
I got an extremely faint line this evening on a $ Tree test...I'm still not sure what to think, but for now, I'm hopeful!

Rebecca

a faint line is still a positive.  And you're only 11 days post ovulation.

Wishing you one, or at most two healthy babies.  Let us know how you go.
Thank you for your kind wishes! I will update if I get a clearer line.
A line is a line, no matter how faint it is and believe me, I have sonic sight when it comes to scouring for BFPs.  I'm with some of the other girls, I would have done the same thing as you.  Fingers crossed that you are pregnant.  

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is the "trigger shot" something to do with PCOS or what has to be taken after clomid?
Thanks!

No it's not a silly question at all. Sometimes, when you are on Clomid, the dr likes to see how the follies develop, do an ultrasound, and then give you an HCG injection to make the follies burst from the ovary. It's basically just to make sure you ovulated, and kind of ups your chances.

AFM, I got another faaaaaaaiiiiinnnt line this morning. Maybe a TINY bit darker than yesterday's, but my DH can barely see it. I'm going to try to get in for a beta tomorrow and see what happens. Enough with this squinting at lines! I want to know for sure!

Rebecca
Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up.  Did you start Clomid after you found out you had PCOS or have you only started it recently?

I'm not sure I've acutally ovulated this month, I usually do but I'm still waiting for it to happen this month, maybe I've missed it or the clomid could have delayed ovulation?  I've read that you should probably ovulate between 5 and 10 days after taking your last Clomid pill and I'm on day 7 now and still nothing.  

Your line will get stronger, I know it.  Please god you'll have some good news after six years of trying.  
Line any darker today?
Well I did take a digital with afternoon diluted urine and it was negative. I think I will be out soon, but I have a Beta scheduled for Thursday if AF hasn't came by then. I'm having pretty bad AF cramps so I just don't know. Thanks for checking!

Rebecca
I don't really trust the digital ones.  Still hoping for a BFP for you.  Good luck.
If this does not work for you, you will be a great candidate for IVF after developing that many good follies.

I wish you luck this time but just in case :)
I was a bit nervous for you after what you did. You got lucky not to get OHSS!!!
I finally reached my LH surge today!  Exactly 10 days after taking my last clomid pill.  Look out DH..............................
I'm spotting today so definitely think I am out. I also had a huge temp drop this a.m., so on to next month.

BabyAl~ catch that egg!

Rebecca
Ah, sorry to hear that.  I had such high hopes for you.  Maybe next month.

Will let you know if I catch that egg!
its been a long time since this post, but I am in the exact same situation. 8 follicles docs warned me against sex, but i am very tempted!!
what happened with you?
I am in a similar situation. I have 6 mature follicles and had my trigger and IUI both canceled.  Now it is up to me if we want to do timed intercourse. The doctor advises against it, but said the chances of high order multiples are low and it is up to us to decide. I don't know what to do. Really struggling.
I am also in the same situation - I went today for a follicle scan and have 7-8+ mature follicles. We were supposed to do our first IUI this cycle and my doctor cancelled it. Said that we can try Femara next cycle. Kind of bummed, but also curious about still trying timed intercourse. Kind of leaning toward no at this point though. Curious when ended up happening with you!