Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
AMH level?????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

AMH level?????

Well, I had a bittersweet last appointment with RE yesterday!  It was the last appointment for them to release me to OB.  I asked some questions about our future with fertility and the outlook was not so good.  I KNOW!  I KNOW!  I should be very grateful for what I have and believe me I am!  This is part of the reason why I wanted twins!  My dh does not have any children and wants 2.  I already have one from previous marriage in which dh adores too!  However, she will be 6 1/2 when this one will arrive.  We were hoping to possibly have another.  My AMH level was a 0.3 which is awfully low.  They said if the follistim and IUIs did not work last month, they were going to recommend IVF.  So, whew, I got by on that one.  What a miracle!  So, I am a little concerned that we will have to get busy again soon after delivery.  
Does anyone else know much about AMH levels and how does it look for me????
This is an article I found on it. It is intriguing. However, it does say it is about 70% accurate. There is considerable room for error. Is your FSH elevated, too?

With more and more women postponing pregnancy for their careers, it’s no surprise we hear about so many who are wondering how much time they have left to have a baby. We’ve all heard the stories about women who waited too long or put their careers ahead of family and couldn’t get pregnant when they were ready. Therefore, it’s natural that women are wondering if they’re still ovulating and how much time they have left before their eggs run out. The makers of the AMH test claim to be able to answer these questions.

What is AMH?
AMH stands for Anti-Mullerian Hormone. AMH is produced by the egg follicle that the ovaries grow to prepare an egg for release into the fallopian tube. The levels of AMH found in the blood could be an indicator of a woman’s ovarian function. Essentially, an AMH test can tell you if your ovaries are still releasing eggs.

The theory is that because the level of anti-mullerian hormone found in the blood does not fluctuate throughout the month, it could be an accurate predictor of whether a woman is still fertile and how many eggs she has left in her ovaries. The manufactures claim that it is more accurate than a simple oestrogen test. If they’re right, then the test would be a predictor of who’s more likely to have success with in-vitro fertilization.

In addition to the test’s possible applications as a predictor of fertility, it may also be useful as a test for polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). It is believed that women with PCOS have elevated levels of AMH in their blood, which would make the AMH test ideal for diagnosis.
You are so knowledgable!  Thank you.  I did not think anyone was going to answer my question.  :)  Thanks!  My FSH when tested in November was a 10.7.  When tested in April, it was a 4.2.  ?????  I did not understand that.  I only had the AMH test on April 29 and RE said it was 0.3.  
I waited so long because I divorced my dd's dad and thought I would never marry again.  He was my 3rd marriage already, so I could not foresee a 4th.  Well, I did what I said I would never do, marry again.  I married a longtime friend who is my soulmate.  We have known each other since 1970 (I was 2, he was 4)  :)  He does not have any children and wants 2.  I am fine with just one more, but I am worried about the emotional pain that my divorce will also cause for my next child.  When my dd leaves for visitation, I know it will break her sibling's heart!  It breaks my heart so I can only imagine what it will do to a sibling.  So, I was also hoping to have another, so the pain isn't so bad.  
It appears that if I want another after this one, we will have to try right away because my clock is almost ticked out.  :)
Thank you for your response!
hi read your comment your about AMH. i had this done and mine was 10.6. low but the high end of low. i am 41 years. i do not understand this really only my fertility is not great. however dont get hung up on this statistic or what ever it is. i believe that science can only offer assumptions about fertilty. i am sick of the medics telling ,me your age is a factor. i feel like saying go away, there are many women whom have children late in life. good luck and dont worry
Hi there.  I am kind of in the same boat as you.  I received a call from my RE today and she told me that my AMH level is 0.26 (LOW).  Scared me because i am about to have the HSG.  However, she told me that my estrogen level is 38 which is normal.  FSH she also said is normal 6.3.  Ive never been pregnant before and I am siked and also very nervous about the HSG but going for it anyway.  Have nothing to lose at this point...only to gain (GOD WILLING).  I am 38 and have lost both of my parents 2 years ago.  I cant live life without starting a family of my own.  Hopefully my Angels up in heaven are blowing baby dust my way.  I miss them terribly!!!