Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Abnormal sperm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Abnormal sperm

hi everyone
my partner has just been told that he has 95% sperm mobility but 100 abnormal sperm!!!
does this mean we will never be able to conceive???
he has to do another test but that news has him absolutley devasted.
Lynda - 95% motility sounds good. and in semen analysis, multiple tests are necessary to make sure that the results are accurate and lets pray the next test comes out fine, good luck, dont worry. see a doctor after your second result to get better understanding of them.
We have morphology issue too.  The very first thing I would do would be to get him on a regime of vitamins.  There are some that are supposed to help with morphology issues.  We also deal with male factor issues.  We have been trying for almost 6 years to conceive our second child.  Our first was a miracle natural conception.  My DH has 99% abnormal sperm most of the time.  We've done 5 IUI's.  Our 4th one was successful with only 1% normal morphology.  The pregnancy was unfortunately was lost because it was ectopic, but it is possible to get pregnant with a very low morphology.  

I have my husband on a laundry list of vitamins, and with our last IUI he had gone up to 2% morphology.  I think if he actually took the vitamins on a more consistent basis he would get a better improvement.  The main ones to have are folic acid, selenium, zinc, vitamin c,d and e, lycopene and L-carnitine.

I also have my DH taking coenzyme Q10, maritime pine bark, l-glutimine, flaxseed oil, and a regular mens multi-vitamin.  I may start adding saw palmetto too, as that is also good for prostate health.

Give it three months (that's generally how long it take to have improvement in the sperm) and get him retested to see if there is any difference.  If not, IUI or IVF may be the necessary option for you guys.

I feel for you.  Good Luck!