Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Acupuncture and IVF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

Acupuncture and IVF

Has anyone done acupuncture along with IVF and had a successful cycle?  Did you do treatments for weeks/months before the transfer or just in the room right before and after like the published study?  I am about to start IVF cycle #2 (#1 failed) and I have been seeing an acupuncturist for a month and half, two months by the time of my transfer on 7/30.  I have to decide whether I want my acupuncturist to be there during the transfer to do the before and after treatments. I am not sure how I feel about this, nor I am sure if the doctor will even allow, but she recommended I book my appointment with her ASAP to save the spot.  Just wondering what experiences others have had.  Thanks.
Has the accupuncture helped you any?  I am researching trying to decide myself if I want to start accupuncture therapy.
I am getting ready to do my first IVF and I have ordered yoga for fertility and meditation for fertility.  What shocked me was your cramping after the procedure.  No one has told me about what you feel like after the fact. I have cramps like you, I double over every month and sometimes my husband will have to come pick me up where ever  I am.  I am a little nervous about things.  I read a great book nurturing yourself through IVF.  
Since I haven't started my meds yet, I don't know how it will effect my IVF cycle, but during my last period I had no cramps and usually I cramp so bad I can't stand up straight.  One of the benefits of acupuncture is supposed to a reduction in uterine cramping, which I believe is why they want to do it right before and after the embryo transfer.  During my first IVF cycle I cramped terribly for the first three days.  So hopefully this will help.
My RE at Reproductive Partners has mentioned trying acupuncture before IVF.  I have not looked into it yet.  I should.  I have never heard of having them be there and use it as part of the procedure.  I am not sure I'd be comfortable with that either.  Let me know if you hear anything else on this.
Are you in San Diego?
My husband and I discussed it and neither of us is really comfortable with it, so I think I may go to their office on my own the morning and/or the afternoon of the transfer.  I was already going to go the day after the transfer anyway.  And right now I am going twice a week up to the transfer.  Thank goodness my insurance covers this.  But I have found that it makes me feel like I am doing something to help the process.  
Yep I am in San Diego.  Are you seeing Garzo?  I have a friend who went to him.  Two cycles-two successes.  He is supposed to be excellent.  I am seeing Smotrich at La Jolla IVF.  Here is the website of the acupuncturists I see if you are interested. They are are out in Poway.  http://www.americanacu.com/
I did accupuncture for abt a month leading up to my first complete round of ivf. I also went the day of my transfer, beforehand, and a week later. I just got a + beta test yesterday, hcg of 167 13 dpr. I am not sure if it helped or not, but my dr. said it could not hurt anything, so I went with it. You may be past your treatment, but I wanted to repsond.
Thank you for responding.  I am actually going for ER on Tues and ET on Sunday. I was supposed to cycle in July, but had an ovarian cyst and it was posponed to Aug.  I have been doing acupuncture twice a week for 3 months.  The acupuncturist will be at the transfer to do a before and after treatment.  And then I will see her 3 days later on Wednesday.  I am so glad it worked for you.  I am always interested to hear BFP IVF stories especially with acupuncture.  Congratulations on your BFP!!  That is awesome.  
I was on a Lupron protocol during my first round of IVF and we cancelled it before the retrieval as I too had a cyst, it did go away a week later, but we think holding me over on the Lupron made  my ovaries less agreeable, so there were fewer eggs to possibly retrieve. That was in May. We waited and started a new round in July using an antagon protocol and were able to retrieve 11 eggs, a few more than we were expecting. We have male infertility issues, so we did ICSI and 6 fertilized, 3 were transferred on day 3 and the other 3 did not make it to day 6. Transferring 3 was aggressive by my ARTS dept standards, but it was a day 3 transfer, so that made the decision easier. For now, we are in good shape. I do not go back for another beta until Friday, so it will be another week of waiting. I joke that we have been at this for 3 years now, 4 failed IUI's and two IVF attempts later, here we are, still waiting! Another week should not be that big of a deal at this point! Best of luck with your retrieval. I know that part was a big relief for us, just knowing what we would have to work with...
I did Lupron this time around to get rid of the cyst.  My RE also said it is a little easier on the uterus.  The first time I used Ganirelex (sp?).  We too have male factor and IVF is our only option.  The first time around we got 13 eggs, 9 matured, 3 made it.  We transferred 2 and froze one.  This time around the Dr expects to get around 12-15 eggs again.  We haven't decided if we are transferring 2 or 3.  RE said we could do either since the first one failed, but since I am under 35 and we only have male issues he is worried about triplets since he had a run of triplets for awhile.  I am worried about triplets-especially with doing the acupuncture this time around.  But part of me thinks 3 is better than none.  Thanks for sharing your information.  I am sure this Friday's better will bring you a nice big beta number and end the waiting game, well except for the next 8 months. :)  
I did both - and it didn't work. But I still believe in acupunture because my cycle was super regular with acupunture and I ovulated every month while doing this. So although it didn't work for me - I would say do it.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers