Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Acupuncture for improving implantation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Acupuncture for improving implantation

I am wondering has anyone got any answers about whether acupuncture really works for improving embryo implantation? I am concerned I might not develop a thick enough endometrial lining and may need all the help i can get. Also what about progesterone supplementation?
Your lining will be monitored thruout your ivf cycle. Progesterone is given during ivf. The start dates of supplemental hormones estrogen, progesterone and most likely baby aspirin are linked to the egg recovery date.  Most commonly used are progesterone suppositories and estrogen tablets or patches. Some clinics check your levels after about a week to make sure your supplementation is adequate.  Acupuncture Pre and post implantation of embryos is the most crucial time to receive acupuncture. My acupuncturist suggests 2 visits per week three months prior, Pre and post embryo transfer and once a week during the first trimester of acupuncture. It's important to know most acupuncturists say they treat infertility but they don't specialize in it which usually will make for a hard time trying to get that person to be flexible to attend your transfer given the time and day it falls on.  Make sure to ASK BEFORE committing to treatment there if this is something you want to do. Studies have shown it to improve the success but many are successful without it. Acupuncture can also help the anexiety you may have going thru this journey. It's quiet helpful for many many health issues.  If your concerned about your lining I've heard that B6 and B50 vitamins are supposed to help. If everything were to go perfectly except your lining your RE may opt to do the transfer on another upcoming cycle and freeze your embryos until your body is ready. I really hope this works out well for you!! Best of luck!!
Wow, Ellen 038 that IS really really helpful. The reason I am worried about endometrial lining is because I've been completely without hormone activity since the age of 13, and I wonder if it is going to respond fully to the medications. I think I will look into it and ask my clinic if they have a recommendation of a good place that many other women undergoing ART use. THANKYOU. :)
I used acupuncture with most of my IVFs; my old clinic allowed the acupuncturist to come in the prep room right before and right after transfer, to do the treatment right there.  I didn't do it last time, because the hospital where I went then, did not allow acupuncturists to work there.  The research shows that acupuncture helps, EXCEPT if you have to go to an acupuncturist first, then do the IVF transfer, and then go to the acupuncturist's office after that.  Apparently the added stress of trying to get to the acupuncturist's in a timely way, then to the transfer, and then to the acupuncturist again afterward, reduces the chance of success.  Acupuncture is all about increasing blood flow and especially, reducing stress.