After IUI, what's next?
Hi, I'm the type that likes to know what's next...after an IUI, what's usually next? True IVF? Do egg retrievals hurt? My RE said I'll be sedated but to me sedation is different than general anesthesia where you don't feel or experience anything (I'm allllll for that). And then for true IVF implantation, what method do they use? Is it similar to an IUI where they put a catheter in and put the embryo? Or is it more invasive?

I will say all my life I thought IVF, etc was the 100% guarantee that you'll finally get a baby. After reading stories, I now know it's still just as hard.
Well..after 6 IUI's (I know.,..c-r-a-z-y!! 2 different clinics...our clinic really only recommends 3..then on to IVF) IVF was our only option if we wanted to get pg (since obviously it wasn't working on our own or through IUI's) Nothing was pointing to why I wasn't able to conceive (had a 5 yr old that must have conceived miraculously just as started to do fert treatments) so IVF was the next step since I wasn't willing to "keep trying" on our own. So a whole protocol of b/w, u/s, and meds. The retrieval is after ovaries have been stimmed enough to produce a good amount of follicles to retrieve. Retrieval you are "put out" for the procedure, and then really just an afternoon of rest is in order (unless you hyperstim). Then after either a 3-5 day wait to see how the embies turn out (they are graded and a lot can be seen when they get your eggs and fertilize them) they put in however many you have decided to put in due to quality. The transfer is a lot like the IUI's, and then our clinic has you stay for about 20-30 minutes, go home, and bed rest for 3 days...then the wait until your first beta test (ours is done at day 8 and 10 to compare no.) IVF is def. not a 100% guarantee that you will conceive. Although you sure would think it would be...so much is being done to help out the conception process...the best of the best (that means you have to have good stuff to start with..ugh!) Also, after retrieval, you are taking meds to prep your body for pregnancy, and keep taking them until your pg test, and if positive, I had to take until 9 wks (progesterone shots and suppositories plus baby aspirin). Ok..did that help at all? Any more questions...feel free to ask...I might have just scared the pants off of ya.! :O)
After IUI I went to IUI with clomid and if this month does not work I am moving towards ivf.  I would not mind going through retrieval, transfer, monitoring, etc. if ivf was 100% success guarantee.  I am ready to do anything to have a family.  What scares me most is that it may not work and then I am out of options...

Good luck to you!
The way it was explained to me was there is basically 3 options.  Each option costs more then the previous but your chances go up.  

Option 1: IUI with or without clomid and hcg trigger shot

Option 2: IUI with injectable ovary/follicle stimulating meds and hcg trigger shot

Option 3: IVF

I had IUI 3 times.  The first time I got pg but it didn't work out.  The 3rd time it worked like a charm and I am now 35wks pg.  
Were you using clomid or injectables, and how may times on the same protocol did it take for your BFP?
My first IUI was with a very low dose of clomid. I took 25mg cd5-9 which is half of the lowest dose. My problem was unexplained infertiltiy, so I was able to ovulate on my own. The clomid was to help regulate my cycle.  I did hcg trigger shot on cd12 at 11pm and did IUI on cd14 at 11am (so 36 hours between shot and IUI).  I got bfp the first try but it ended up being ectopic, and I lost my right fallopian tube.

Second IUI, I took 12.5mg of clomid cd5-9 which is a quarter of the lowest dose. I did hcg trigger shot on cd12 and IUI on cd14.  I did not get pg this time but my chances were really low because the follicles were on the side without a fallopian tube.  

Third IUI, no clomid.  Did hcg trigger on cd12 at 11pm and IUI on cd14 at 11am.  Got my BFP 11 days after IUI..

Hope this helps.