Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Age 39 AMH .16 FSH 6.4

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

Age 39 AMH .16 FSH 6.4

I know AMH indicates ovarian reserve, and mine is very low. Ultrasound indicated 3+1 follicles this cycle with no treatment. Does this mean a) I should not pursue IVF b) I have an increased risk of miscarriage because of the AMH numbers [I realize by age thus egg quality I am more prone to miscarriage] Also, Is femara a better choice than clomid because of thinning of uterine linings?
Tags: amh, IVF, TTC, fsh, femara, clomid
Your FSH is very good but it is not congruent wth your AMH....make sure you don't have any ovarian cysts as they can make your FSH lower and give a false reading. I am 39 too... Very low AMH, but did get preg recently but had an early miscarriage. My RE is very skeptical on AMH and he does not believe this is an accurate indication of anything. He has had lots of successess with women's own eggs and low AMH. Becuz of your age and we know the clock is ticking, I would atleast try an IUI with injectables as you will likely respond pretty well. I have not used Chlomid. I have used Femara but yet to conceive on it....it is safer than Chlomid. I am going to try and do IVF here soon depending on my finances. I think you really need to talk to your RE and see what he suggests. SSBD.
Is this your first baby? if yes; i guess you should go ahead with IVF; we never know it can turn lucky for us. My AMH is low too and my IVF cycle got cancelled two months ago as i didnt respond much to the meds; we are trying again next month. good luck.
My amh was .7 and we did femera. It worked first try and now have a 5 month old baby girl.  Good luck
I would go ahead with femara for a few cycles, it can be very successful and is far cheaper than IVF (and much less invasive).  Only go for injectables if femara doesn't work.

I am 40 and just pregnant on a femara cycle.
Thanks for the encouraging news Super_sally888 & Trying43. The doc did mention a "very small 'non-finding' cyst" which may be the reason for low FSH, Azwoman. I know about IUI but my doc has not mentioned it to me yet.  I have a beautiful son, 3 yrs old, so not first baby and did not have "assistance" for him, but that was 3-4 yrs ago. I am covered for IVF on my insurance [lucky], but I am also encouraged by the responses here around femara...and the story from my mom today that my great grandmother had 3 children all past the age of 38!
I am 39 & was trying IVF for 2/3 years prior to conceiving with EXTRA help.  I did 4 of my own IVF's that just didnt work but not sure why.   I also had coverage.
Since you are also a lucky person to have IVF medical insurance.........GO FOR IT!!!!!

Best Wishes.
FYI, doc has recommended no IVF- he will do it if I insist, but says if it here his money he would not try...  :( sounds like I have a better chance of being struck by lightening...
If your insurance pays for it, it's worth a try. Otherwise, you may always wonder "what if..."
Good luck with your decision