Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Anyone get positive OPK result but not ovulating?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Have been consistently testing and seeing the LH surge around day 14.  On day 21 tested for prolactin and progesterone.  Prolactin levels not elevated (good) but progesterone appears very low (126 ng/Dl or less than 2 ng/ml).

I believe the progesterone level is consistent with not ovulating.  Need to speak with my OB about this, but does anyone have experience with this?  I had a miscarriage last year so know I was ovulating.  Have been TTC again for the last 4 months.
this happened to me.  I'd been ttc for 5 months, got a positive on the opk each time around day 13, but when I had my bloood drawn for a Progesterone test, it came back quite low.  My ob/gyn said it indicated I wasn't ovulating, and put me on Clomid.  Progesterone level went up that month, but still not pregnant.  Referred to an RE, who is now monitoring me via ultrasond and blood tests while still on 50 mg Clomid.  Got my test results back, which show me ovulating TODAY.  It's my understanding that you can get a positive on the opk and yet not be ovulating.  But I'm pretty new to all of this.
I had 2 pos opks at different times this cycle and know that o took place on 1st one. There are ranom times of the month you can have lh surges, too. Also, you can have your normal lh surge to trigger egg release and not have an egg there to release. Hope this helps. The opk will pick up the surge, but it cannot tell you an egg was released. Temps can help some, but still not 100%.
My cycle has always been regular 26-27 days.  It was only by accident that I even had my Progesterone tested, after ttc for only 4 months.  I had  some very slight spotting mid-cycle, for 2 cycles in a row, and that was what prompted the ob/gyn to run some tests. It had never even occurred to me that I may not be ovulating, since I was using the digital opks, and cycle was regular.
thanks for your comments.  BTW, has your cycle been regular for the last 5 months?  Mine has thus I didn't suspect a problem until after the progesterone reading.

I had a miscarriage and D&C  on Dec 14th 06,  I haven't had a period since. However on the 1st Feb, March and April I've had a + OPK. I'm also using a fertility monitor this month which also showed 4 days 'high' fertility (showing my oestrogen was rising appropritely) and then 2 days of 'peak' which was the LH surge - this coincided with the +OPK.  HOWEVER still no af. The weird thing is I know you can have LH surges but not actually ovualte but I had blood work done last month after my +OPK and the progesterone was 49? and the Dr said this showed I had ovualted!!! but still no af (and I'm definately not pregnant). Who knows whats going on??!!!

Kerry
xx