Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Anyone have a D&E for pregnancy loss in the second trimester?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

We just lost our baby at 16 weeks.  I had a D&E last week, and things have been very unusual.  Saturday night I was due to take my last dose of Methergine, after accidentally skipping a dose.  Just before taking it, I finally started bleeding.  I had only spotted for 4 days until then.  I started gushing a constant stream of blood, and just kept waiting for the Methergine to kick in.  It worked and stopped the bleeding.  I called my doc the next morning, and they gave me 2 more days worth of methergine and said we should wait and see what happens.  I grew increasingly uncomfortable physically during those 2 days, but still no bleeding.  I took the last dose christmas morning, and it wore off late that night.  When it did, I started getting labor like contractions.  It was awful.  I literally felt like I was in labor and was breathing through the contractions.  I thought for sure it was my body preparing to work out pushing out a clot or something, but I never, ever bled - nothing.  And I haven't since.  That night I took some percocet and was able to sleep.  Since then, very little pain, and still no bleeding.  Not even spotting.  I'm wondering if my uterus just went into spasm after the methergine wore off since it was clamped up in lockdown from it for so long?  I have no idea.  I keep waiting to bleed and nothing is happening.  Just wondering if I'm out of the woods yet and if anyone experienced anything like this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
I may be able to confirm the exact cause of your symptoms only after a thorough clinical evaluation.Methergine aids in expulsion of retained products of conception after a missed abortion. If you are still having spasmodic contractions and no pain it is possible that all the products have been expelled. It can be confirmed only after an ultrasound scan. Do consult your gynecologist for assistance. A clinical examination and ultrasound may help in determining the cause of your problem. Keep me posted.
Best wishes and kind regards!