Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Anyone taking estrogen with clomid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Anyone taking estrogen with clomid

OK, so I'm on my first month of clomid and have already ovulated. However, I had NO watery or eggwhite cervical mucus before O this month. I know that can be one of the side effects, but I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem? And if so, are you are taking estrogen to help produce more fertile cm?

By the way, I tried guafinesin, green tea, grapefruit juice and EPO in the days leading up to O, but it didn't seem to make a difference.
Heather,

When I was on clomid , I was also dry always...my PCT also showed hostile CM....I was put on E2 patches...but that was not thicken the lining and not for CM..to overcome the CM problem they did IUI.
Clomid does have a lot of sie effects
I also took clomid and then the estrogen for a few days, I didn't notice any difference in my CM, I just know I am emotional!  I have heard to take the guafinesin though, it won't hurt anything either way.  And I have't noticed any weird side effects personally... Good luck to you!
Heather,
I did both, I think I told you that once before. but i never did get an answer from doc why they perscribed the estradiol. I took it cd8-12. I got LH surge on CD15 & CD16. Yesterday CD16, I had a lot of EWCM. So if the Estradol was for that purpose, it did it's job. But it has definitly screwed with my emotions...bad! (As you probably already know:))
Are you gonna do the Clomid next month if you don't get a BFP?
If you do, I would ask for it, can't hurt...I don't think.
Someone told me here ysterday that IUI was only like $200 w/o insurance, I just called and they said basic IUI starts around $300. It made me feel better, maybe it will make you too!
I am on Clomid and estradiol. I was told that the estradiol is to make sure your lining in nice and thick to help the egg implant? As for the price of IUI's mine is $273.  My insurance doesn't cover any of it so it isn't horrible. Much cheaper than IVF.
Hey,
$273 is not bad at all. someone on here told me that last night and seriously they made my month! My husband will be so happy too. when I told him the ither day that our ins doesn't cover infertility treatments (we live in ma, and most ins. are required to cover it) he was blown away. He was like, well whatever, we'll just pay for it. When I said thru my tears, yeah, it's like 5K each month, he was just dead silent! Poor guy has probably been having a heart attack. Our ins. company does cover anything realted to diagnosis, so that's good anyway.
Yeah, however I do end up paying about 1,000 dollars a  month for everything. We have to use a donor and we do two IUI's a cycle so between the both of them it's about 1,000. After five months it does start getting expensive because you feel that you're just throwing money down the toliet each month it doesn't work but ...hopefully it'll be worth it in the end!
It will be. You spend at least that on diapers, formula, and childcare! So just think it's good practice on learning that your money isn't yours anymore!
So do you do IUI on your two most fertile days?
Right now I am doing OPK's until I get a positive surge than schedule the IUI's for the following two days. I am not doing any injectibles or anything but will have to start if I don't get a BFP this time around. I am already on IUI #5.
When I did clomid + IUI, somehow my doc was able to bill all the ultrasounds and office visits under endometriosis.  I have endometriosis, but I'm not sure how he slipped that one by!  So, I just had to pay my co-pay, and I had to pay $300 a month for the IUI.

When the clomid didn't work, and he told me the cost of moving to injectibles, I nearly pooped myself.  It's costing about 3K per month, none of it covered by insurance.  I've only got enough money scraped together to try this three times, and then I'm out!  I know IVF is much more expensive, which is why I can't afford to do it.  No insurance for that. :(

Sheri
I am doing injectables right now and I pay all -- it is costing me only $500/month, I don't understand why I hear #s like this from everyone else.  What meds are you getting?  

Allison
I also heard that the cost of injectibles isn't that much....I definitely haven't heard in the thousands! I'm not sure of the exact numbers but I don't think it's much more.
It isn't that much for me, so I am just wondering why so many people are talking about costs like this? I must be missing something!
Does the $500/month include the ultrasounds? Or just cover the injectibles?
I paid about $475 for the injectables, clomid, and Hcg trigger.  the ultrasounds cost me $260/month.  (two of them, $130/each).  It is really less b/c I paid that much last month, and it was two months of meds.  I am in the 2ww of the second cycle so if I do it again, I'll have to buy more meds.
So that's not even including the IUI? Hmm..that doesn't seem bad considering I've been spending 1,000/month for a BFN every month for the last 5. Maybe I'll give that a shot.
I didn't do IUI.  So I ordered the menopur (injectables) which are $50/vial, I use 4 vials/month --- $200, plus $10 clomid, plus $20/hcg trigger.  The ultrasounds are $260 month .  My doctor charges $170 for IUI in addition.  Still not bad.
Hopefully I can get that to work. I'm willing to try anything at this point that doesn't cost about 20,000....
Me too.  I won't be moving on to IVF.  I just can't spend that kind of money.  
I really can't afford to either..I don't know why I should have to result to that. All my tests came back good! It sucks how so many people can have kids when they aren't wanting one..and the ones who do have to suffer each month.