Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
At home artificial insemination

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

At home artificial insemination

I was wondering if anyone knew if at home insemination using frozen donor sperm is about the same as going to the doctor and having the doctor do it or if is would be wise to use the doctor? The sperm bank we are using said they could just send it to us at home and have it done. I am contemplating because if I ovulate or surge on Friday then my doctors office isn't open over the weekend and so by the time Monday rolled around, my chances would be gone! Does anyone know anything about this?
I have never ever heard of such a thing. is this sperm washed already??? sounds shady to me
I would do it at the drs office.  This way they can take an ultra sound to see what's going on on there... check the size of your follicles...  You can use a stimulation process using meds to increase your chances of it working.  I know it is hard to wait another month.  Is it just you or you and your DH?  A doctors office can offer additional support too.
I agree with babyp.  Sounds shady.
Yes, the sperm is washed and they either send to your doctor's office or to your home??? It is a reputable sperm bank but I couldn't decide what to do. If we do it, the only thing different is us doing it. My doctor is not using drugs as of yet and I do not have any problem ovulating and have went through all the fertility problems. It is my husband, so we are using donor sperm to get pregnant. It might be nice to watch how they do it at doctor's office though!@
There is a lady here and I cannot remember her name, that did it at home. They give you an applicator to insert the specimen. It didn't sound too difficult.  Their dr actually sent it home with them to insert at the right time. I've been waiting to hear if it worked. It's been plenty of time to know.

I thought it sounded weird at first, but after reading more, it made sense.

I know a person who did that here. They didnt even use a dr. just did the "turkey baster thing" sounds weird, I know but they said that is how it was done. I guess anything is possible
Thanks for that information and yea, the sperm bank place is owned by the doctor who is the one saying that she will send it with an applicator and directions and that it is like inserting a tampon??? It does sound weird but I would actually spend less doing it that way. I could be out $600 at a doc's office plus the sperm or just $250 doing it at home. Sounds weird, like a turkey baster or something. Didn't know you could actually do that. This is why I was questioning it! THank you
I still wonder if it decreases the chances of getting pregnant though? or if it almost the same as having actual sexual intercourse one time during that crucial period, no idea!!! I will keep everyone posted as to what I do as well!
and you inject the sperm in to your cervix?? how the heck can you see where your injecting it. I am sorry didnt mean to sound so skittish about it, I just have never heard of such a thing.
Yea, I guess so, they said it was like a tampon??? I want to find out more about it. I would think the doctor could see and get more precise!!!
yeh, i think its kind a hard to do it, i had 4 IUIs and the last one i had i remember the nurse had a hard time doing it to me, she ended up calling the doctor and had her gave it to me. so i would take no chance though, only on my own opinion..anyway good luck to you..
I would use the Dr. the first time to make sure it's done properly - then maybe youc an get a feel for it and diy next time.
It's not like having an IUI where it's injected through the cervical opening. It's the same priniciple as sex, where it is deposited near the cervix, inside the vagina. From what I read, it's very common when using donor sperm.
Well, I haven't ovulated yet so probably won't be happening this month but THANKS for everyone and their comments!
I am currently doing at home insemination with fresh donor sperm.  The difference, ast Tina1111 pointed out, is that at the doctors, they will typically wash the sperm,and then insert directly into the uterus (IUI).  This is where it gets spendy....especially if you need fertility meds.  For at home insemination, you deposit the sperm NEAR the cervix, so it's more like having sex (although, we've been told, having sex is better than "turkey baster").  We've tried for three cycles and so far no luck.  If after 6 months we still aren't pg, then we will go to the RE to do IUI's.  

We chose at home insemination first simply because of cost.  However, if I were buying the sperm (I was set up at a sperm bank as well, and they were going to ship the sperm directly to me), I would shell out the money for the IUI because the odds are higher for a pregnancy.

Good luck.  Let us know how it goes whichever method you choose.
HOW WOULD U BUY THE SPERM FROM SPERM BANK WITHOUT  CHECKING THE BACKGROUND ,DOES ANYONE BUY LIKE THIS ,LIKE SHIPMENT METHOD ?AND DID AT THE HOME INSEMINATION .?IF SO THEN THAT WILL BE EASY TO BUY A SPERM AND HAVE A BABY'S FROM UNKNOWN FATHER HA HA AHA ...