Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
BBT low? What's normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

BBT low? What's normal?

May 7th I started charting my BBT in hopes to pin point an ovulation date.  My temp has been low 96.3-97.6) compared to other resources I have been reading.  Does a low BBT identify any challenges related to conception?

My husband and I have been trying to conceive our second child for over 6 months.  I am now using ovulation predictor kits as a tool to identify ovulation, although last month the kit identified ovulation a day prior to menstruation.  Is that possible?  

I don't think your temps are that low and I know it depends on the individual.  But you could do a google search on "hypothyroidism and infertility".  Also, you could look at some charts in fertilityfriend and minimize your search to include pregnancy and hypothyroidism and you'll see women who were successful and you could compare their temps.

If you have a concern about your temps, have your doctor check your thyroid.  They do that with a blood test for all of your hormones.

Good luck!
For the first half of my cycle my temps are usually in the high 96 and low 97 range.  After ovulation they usually are in the upper 97 or low 98.  I recently bought a new thermometer.  It is one of those kind that give you your temp in 9 - 12 secs.  It has been giving me temps much lower than I am used to and with no sign of a thermal shift after ovulation.  I'm going to go back and get another one that takes a little longer to determine your temp.  Best of luck to you.  
my temps run low also.  i am low 96's pre o then high 96's-97 post o.  i have conceived although i mc.  i asked my md about it and she said it wasnt a problem.  sometimes im even 95.9 :)
Are you taking your temps at the same time every morning, right when you wake up?  They say it's also best to take it before even getting out of bed.  My temps are usually in the high 96, low 97 range before ovulation as well and around 98.0 post O.  Hope this helps.
It's not the temps that matter in themselves. It's being able to see a distinct pattern before and after o. As long as the chart is biphasic, it is a pretty good identifier as to when o happened. Once they go up .2-.5 deg and stay at that range, the chart is biphasic. As for the opk the day b4 af, it could be o, nothing is impossible. But was most likely one of the "random" surges we get every cycle. Most women aren't testing then so it would not even be noticed. I have had them early and late in my cycles.