Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
BBT not rising,but ovulating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

BBT not rising,but ovulating

I have been ttc for 13 months, and a few times I have tried charting but my temps stay the same all month long....has this happened to anyone else who is ovulating. I am sure I am ovulating cause I use the opk's and exactly 15 days after the positive opk my period will start, making my luteal phase 14 days. Just wanted to know if anyone else experiences this??? Thanks
Tags: ovulating, bbt, TTC
i have not experienced this, but are you using the same thermometer, maybe it's defective.  i would try a different one. good luck
I agree with wanabb.  You should get a different thermometer. If you are ovulating as it sounds like you are, you should be having a shift.  I would definitely try with another BBT thermometer.  Good luck!  
I would say it is not your thermometer. My best frined does this and she IS NOT ovulating! Your temo will go up once it has. You can have a + OPK and not ovulate. That is just saying your body is producing the lutenizing hormone which triggers release of the egg. It does not mean it has. Also you might want to get your thyriod checked. I know that a hypothyriod will cause you to have low temps. But pretty much the same temps all over means annovolation, if that is spelled right:) I would talk with your dr about clomid for a few months and if you see your chart change then you know that is what it was. I would be surprised if that is not what it is. If you go to fertility friend and search charts on annovolulation then you will see it. That is to long of a timet to have been trying with out testing and meds. Have you had any tests? Are you seeing a GYN or RE?
Good call 30something.  I was thinking of thyroid too but she didn't say anything about them being consistently low.  The strange part for me is the consistency of her cycle length if she in fact is NOT ovulating.  Normally cycle length should be much more irregular in my experience as her body ramps up to try and ovulate and doesn't and would normally try again etc until having just enough to trigger an annovulatory cycle and induce a period. Maybe a good place to start would also be a progesterone check.  As her cycles are so regular and she is getting a positive OPK they should have a pretty good idea of when to test and can tell her if she's likely ovulated or not. In the meantime though I would at least try a new thermometer to rule out something simple in case it is just that.  Although most of us are not usually that lucky yes? :-) Take care Alohacandice! Good luck!
My dr just gave me clomid this past month, I am just seeing my gyn right now, this cycle with the clomid I still see no difference in my temps, but my dr is sure I am ovulating since after a positive opk I get my menstrual period....I'm not sure, the dr says charting doesnt work for everyone but I wanted other womans opinions, thanks
How do you take your temps as it can affect the readings.

I cannot take my temp orally, as i am a mouth breather at night, and there is very little if any rise in temps that way, or it swings so badly it is unable to be used to chart.  Now i take it vaginally, which sounds gross but is actually very easy to do, just don't use the same thermometer for anything else.

But as soon as i started to do VT, i saw the rise in temp of about 0.5 degree post ovulation / luteal phase.

Also make sure your thermometer shows at least 1 digits post decimal point, ir 97.5, or it will be very hard to see.  If you feel the temps are not rising, maybe try one that shows 2 digits - 97.45 and then it will show u smaller variations.
Thanks for the advice, my temps are always around 97.2, it's a new thermometer, but I do take them orally, my luteal phase is consistent, exactly 15 days after a positive opk I get my period, so I am pretty sure I am ovulating, and the day I am supposed to be ovulating I usually see a large dip in my temps like to 96.6 then they go back up to 97.2, but hover around there, it's strange, maybe Ishould ask the dr to verify my ovulation, but I just started clomid as well, thanks for all the advice
Hi There alohacandice! I just wanted to let you know that my temps were doing the exact same thing and I was recently diagnosed w/ annovulation. I am now on clomid and see a complete difference in my chart. I saw the spike in temps ( a little later but I hear that is common.) This temp charting thing is so confusing to me b/c I'm not sure how much the temp has to go up in order to ovulate. I've also heard that some woman have a spike, but it's not quit as significant or may be hard to see. I have a thermometer that reads two digits like 98.43. It's a little easier to read. Good luck! Let me know how things go!!
Yeah I would ask your dr for a day 3 and day 21 progesterone check. That will give you a base line then it should go up if you do O. Also for an U/S to look for eggs developing. findinghumility wa sright about having low temps with a hypothyriod. But it could be boarderline. You also do not bbt all the time and for some reason you could catch your cycle each time it choose not to O, whichc is unlikey but anything is possible. Make sure your dr trys a higher dose of clomid after 1-2 months if you do not see a change in your temps. Good that you are on it though. Best of Luck!
Hi i just wanted to say that i too was taking my temp every morning on a digital thermometer,using it under my arm.I gave up after 10 months as i didnt help me at all.My temp didnt rise that much so i was begining to think i wasnt ovulating.But ive been at the fertility clinic since march and had all the relevant tests done,They confirmed i was ovulating as they do a blood test on day 21 of your cycle to determine this.So for me the only way to know i am ovulating is by listening to my body ie pains cramps etc.so i now know i ovulate between day 8-12 as i have a 26 day cycle.But i think i sometimes ovulate straight after my period ends,which is even earlier because my period only lasts for 3/4 days max. x