Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
BBT when pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

BBT when pregnant

Hi ladies,
I have a question, if anyone can answer, please do!
I just became pregnant and wondering if my bbt should go up every day like HCG level????
Can I just do bbt and see that my temp is rising? I asked in CVS pharmacy and the pharmacy person said, yes, the temp should stay up but I am not sure because I didn't find any info on Internet about it..
Please help!!!!
Hi Anya! Hope you and your little bean are doing well :-) Yes, your BBTs will stay elevated throughout your pregnancy, but it won't keep climbing. It may go a little higher than your normal luteal phase temps, but then just stabilize and stay above the cover line. Take care!
Hi Heather,
I was wondering if my bbt should go up like HCG level or just stay high? I m just concerned..you know how people on this forum has all kinds of problems and then you get so scared that same thing can happen to you,,,so I was just thinking to check my bbt every morning to make sure that my temp stays high, if that's correct..
Well, it won't continue to rise like HCG does...just stay above the coverline. You could temp every morning, if you want, but most women actually stop charting when they get pregnant, since your doctor will be monitoring your progress from here on. Just try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy! I'm sure everything will be just fine ;-)
Ok, I guess then I should return the bbt, it cost $15, and if I don't need it..I was just hoping to do something besides my blood work....because sometimes doctors can't catch something because they do blood work too rare, not every 3 days...
Hi Anya,
From experience stop taking your bbt if you are already pregnant! it will drive you crazy and if one day it is lower it will make you nervous! It did for me anyways. But like Heather said it does not keep rising it just stays above your cover line. I was a nut when i got pregnant because i had a m/c once before so i was so scared it would happen again. It didn't thank God. Try and relax about it all and have a great pregnancy and dream about the baby to come :)
I am 4 and a half weeks today and I took bbt for the first time....it came back NORMAL...so  I don't think I want to rely on it, because all I read in Internet, it should stay up for two weeks after pregnancy and then go down a bit...I had 98.4, so I don't want to rely on it......

I am waiting for nurse to call me and let me know about my beta testing.......I know it doesn't help, but I am very nervous...:(

Thanks for support!
Hi Anya! Yeah, I think BBT charting will only confuse you, since you didn't chart before ovulation. In general, your temps will be higher after ovulation and stay high once you're pregnant. But since you don't know what your coverline is, you won't know what's high or low for you. 98.4 would be high for me, though, so don't go by what the "normal" body temperature is. My temps are in the 97s before O and go up into the 98s after O (with a coverline around 97.5 to 97.9).

I'll cross my fingers for high numbers when they call with your results!
Thank you Heather...you are right, I don't know my coverline...
I am sooo irritated cuz the nurse hasn't called yet and its almost 2 p.m. here....plus my stomach hurt, I ate something bad....so yeah...I just hope everything is ok..

I didn't know about bbt before, so I was taken normal temperature, and I had 92.5 all the time....could I relate that since for normal temperature I had 92.5 , and when I used BBT, I got 98.4, approximately, that I it is higher then my coverline?
Its all so confusing....
Thanks!
Hmmm! Are you sure the thermometer you used before was working correctly? 92.5 is veeeeery low. For most women, 96 to 98 is considered normal temperatures before O and 97 to 99 after O. The temperatures usually vary by a degree or so before and after O.

I hope your nurse will call you soon, so you won't have to be sitting around waiting all day. Take care, Anya, and keep us posted!
Hi, I just checked, when I used my normal body thermometer, I had 96.2 ( sorry for the confusion), and since I never O, I had it consnta.

only yesterday I bought bbt and I checked today for the first time, got 98.4..
I know it wouldn't be accurate , but approximately...?would 98.4 indicate that I am pregnant?
I know, I am driving myself insane because the nurse hasn't called yet......and I have to go on a meeting, but I am taking my cell phone with me, I am soooooo anxious to hear that I am pregnant!
OK! That makes more sense. Yeah, with pre-O temperatures in the 96s, today's temperature is definitely good :-)  Hopefully you'll get a phone call with good news soon!!!
Thank you dear!
I just got a call from my nurse, my HCG rose from 564 to 1950!!! So its good!
I go for another test on Wednesday, it should rise even more!!!
I hope its a good number for one baby....
Cuz I only had 1 follicle, so I shouldn't have more than one baby, right?
I go for another beta testing on Wednesday, and my HCG should rise even more.....Can't wait!
Those are great numbers!!! I wouldn't think there is more than one in there, if you only had one mature follicle. Will you be getting a transvaginal ultrasound? At 5 weeks or so, they should be able to see the sac, so if there's more than one, they'll probably see it then.

Take care, Anya, and keep us posted!
Thank you for positive words...
I actually think that they will only do u/c later, maybe in a week or two, at like 6-7-8 weeks....to hear baby's heart...
right now, even though I am officially 5 weeks on WEdnesday, I am really 3 weeks, so definately another 2-3 weeks for me :) it seems sooo long!
I can't wait until WEdnesday to hear that my HCG level went up again!