Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
BETA HCG LEVELS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

BETA HCG LEVELS

My last period was Dec 1/06, I ovulated on December 15/06, had implantation bleeding on Dec 26/06, had a beta HCG blood test on December 28 and it was 22, I repeated my beta HCG on Jan 2 and it ws 51. Are these levels low? Are they normal?  HELP! I have had 1 miscarriage and am scared of another.
Hcgs are suppose to double every 48 hrs. What has your dr said? You can look online for *hcg levels during pregnancy* and see some charts and kind of get an idea about the numbers.Could be  lab error. Try not to worry. Have another test and check again.
Prayers for you,
Your levels should double every 48 hours in the the first weeks of pregnancy. I had a test done 12dpo and it was 70 two days later it was 66 - my Dr. said that I would miscarry soon with levels already dropping - i did not miscarry instead my levels had stalled they climbed to 2590 a week later- I did end up have a D&C on December 18th due to a blighted ovum- moral of the story-get your levels tested again- sometimes things are not as they seem.
I had some cramping and now a bit of brown spotting, is this bad do u think??
That does help, I am just scared that something may be wrong.  Even if my levels do go up there still may be trouble, no?  The only way you knew you were in trouble was your levels dropped, right? I am taking progesterone 100 mg for 2 days now, b/c of my miscarr. in May. I am going to go today and get another test done. I am within the right levels for when the tests were done,the lower end but they are just not doubling in 2 days, they are in 3 days.  I just wish I knew that everything will be ok.
My dr isn't really saying anything, just to get it re-checked agian. My levels doubled but it took 3 days instead of 2. I am scared I am going to lose this one too. How did you know you had a blighted ovum (BO)? Were all your preg symptoms the same as if it were a reg preg?  How long after your LMP did you find out you had a BO? What should I do?
one more thing, did anyone have cramping around week 5??
Sometimes the HCG will rise slowly in the beginning- but normally it does double every 48 hours. When my period did not come I went back to the Dr.- he did my blood work again- that is when we discovered that my HCG was over 2500- he did an ultrasound at 5 weeks and there was no sac-he was concerned that it was in my tube- at 5 weeks 4 days we did another U/S- found a sac in the uterus- but it was empty- at 7 weeks- the sac was only 9mm- very tiny and still empty- but I was not miscarrying-that is why we had to do the D&C- in fact my HCG levels has risen to 4700 and my progesterone was 40. Unfortunately your beta & progesterone levels can still rise even if the pregnancy is not progressing properly... although my beta was rising - it was not doubling like it should have been. Get another blood test - have them test your progesterone level and your beta level and have an ultrasound at 5 weeks- if everything is progressing smoothly- they should be able to  see the sac at 5-5 1/2 weeks. hope this helps.
Thanks for replying.  I ws just a bit scared, the cramping earlier this afternoon and then a LITTLE bit of brown spotting, I would have missed it if I weren't checking so often. I am just scared to death I will lose this one too.
I am sending you good thoughts- think positive :) I know it is so hard not to drive yourself crazy!
Hi Darkie- my situation was strange because at 12dpo hcg was 70-at 14dpo the level was 66- was told this was more like a chemical pregnancy so no follow up tests were taken until almost a week later when there was no sign of miscarriage. Weird thing was that the next test I had- levels were 2590- which showed that in a week my levels had in fact doubled- then they stalled again 4400 and then 4700 three days later... so you may just be getting a slow start which can happen- you need an U/S by 5 1/2 wks to see if there is a sac present... the numbers are not always the best indicator.
Hi.  Bad news, just got home from the hospital, had a misscarriage again.  Another loss....well there is always next time I guess.
Sorry to hear about that darkie. Hopeful, we maybe going through the same thing with the HCG levels. We actually did an AI and was told to check for pregnancy in 14 days, well we check more at 12 and several different test displayed pregnant. We went in to the doctor on the 14 day since ovulation for a blood test which revealed HCG level at 12 and the 2 days later it dropped to 5. We were told by the nurse that it was a Chemical Pregnancy and that my period should appear in a few days and also there should be a not pregnant result as well in a few days. It has been four days, we took a pregnancy test which still displayed pregnant, I have to urinate constantly, and just begin spotting a little today. I dont know what to think, but something tells me that there is still something going on inside, the worst thing is I cant even get the nurse on the phone to schedule another test. Of course they felt like no other followup was necessary. On God know, but we pray that we did not or are not having a miscarraige (miscarriage). Any help is appreciated.