Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
BLOOD CLOT ON PLACENTA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

BLOOD CLOT ON PLACENTA

Has anyone gone through heavy bleeding resulting from a blood clot on the placenta?  I am finding mixed results about the percentages of it affecting the pregnancy.  Some places it says that if it happens very early in pregnancy, that I will most likely miscarry.  Other places say that I shouldnt worry.  Has anyone had any experience with this?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Stefanie

I had bleeding and a blood clot called a subchorionic hematoma.  Is that what you have?

I started bleeding at about 11 weeks and was on bedrest until about 18 weeks.  I have still had some complications with placenta previa but am now 31 weeks with a very healthy little boy.

Go on bedrest and take it easy.  There is a lot of scary information so try not to read too much.  Just be aware of the size of the bleed and ensure you are being monitored closely.  It should eventually start to shrink although mine first got bigger...and then started to get smaller.  Most will resolve on their own by 20 weeks.  

Take care and do as your doctor tells you.
Stacey
Thanks for the information Stacey.  Did you bleed for all those weeks?  Or is the blood stopping a good indication that the clot is shrinking.  

Thanks again for explaining this.  Doctors tend to limit the information that they supply to the patients.
I bled on and off from week 11-18.  Some red then fade to brown...then nothing for a week...and then it would come back.  The blood stopping should be a good sign but until it completely resolves you could bleed again at basically anytime.  The best thing to help it resolve is to rest as your doctor said.

All the best!!!
I had bleeding throughtout all 5 pregnancy's. I did have other problems which made me miscarry. They never told me I had a blood clot but it was blood vessals breaking. I bleed throught the whole time and my babies were premature due to progesterone but not the bleeding. I was on bed rest the whole time and it did help with the bleeding. I never caused my preterm labor  cuz the dr said it would of made me dialate if it was from the bleeding. Hope your nerves will ease and you can enjoy just being pregnant. I would NOT worry Honey! Bright red or brown if the baby looks good then just rest.
i had a large hemorrage as well that started at 6 weeks.  my dr. thought i was misacarrying.  eventually the bleeding slowed and went brown, that would only come out when we had sex... so that's what we did to get it out.  it stopped around the time i was about 5 months pregnant.  they should monitor you closely to be safe though via U/S. but my OB didnt say that it was a clot on my placenta...  she said it was from implantation.
I had a huge one with my singleton - I bled like crazy and freaked - it did not go away untiul sometime in the 20-30 week range

I had a smaller one with my twins

The docs always said - take it easy - no exercise or excessive standing - and all three babies were fine