Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Bacterial Infections with the IUD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Bacterial Infections with the IUD

I have had and Mirena IUD for 2 years now and for the most part I do not have a period.  Howver, each month like clockwork I get really sore breasts and a horrible fishy oder.  Could this be caused from a hormonal change each month?  It seems there is a direct correlation between the sore breasts and the fishy oder, and once the pain is gone, then typically so is the oder?  I have never had this problem before the IUD but now it appears almost every month since the insertion.  My GYN has ran tests and treated teh infections over and over again but it continues to come back.  I don't know what to do.  I have been married for almos 10 years and teh infection never shows up a the STD version.  Any suggestions or comments wold be extremely helpful.  Thank you.
I don't think IUD mirena give you fish odor.  I think it's more Yeast infection.  I have IUD for 4 1/2 years and never experience any fishy odor.  I have only 1 day period, but as far as i known,  there are no infection.  Do you think you could get from STD?  

good luck and take care
Fishy odor usually indicates Bacterial Vaginosis (BV), which is an infection. But I'm not sure why it would happen every month and be accompanied by sore breasts. That does sound a bit strange. Did your obgyn say anything about that?
I get the same exact thing. I am a medical assistant and really had a serious conversation with my doctor. My white count came back high and all my STD panels came back clean. this is what he advised me to do take it out! He said that the cervix is ment to be tightly closed only opening enough for tiny sperm to get in. When oxygen and other bacteria get into the hole where the IUD is inserted bacteria forms and you can even get sepsis. I dont want to take it out, but I am now considering it as Ive only had my IUD for about 6 mos. It also seems to get worst during the hotter months.