Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Beta HCG level 5???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Beta HCG level 5???

Hi,  My friend did injects/IUI last cycle and at 11 DPO her beta came back at 5...She is going back for another draw to see if it doubles... we are just concerned that is too low...Does any know of anyone having such a low beta and ending in a very good pregnancy?
Wait and see if it doubles then if so that is a great sign. However, I still have trigger in my system at 11 dpo...it showed on urine tests :( hope that isn't the case. Good luck :)
Thanks for your response.  I am sorry for your losses...I had a loss myself too...  My friend and I are waiting to see what the number will be today.  I hope that it is good for her....The number just seemed so low, so I am concerned...
babysomeday, thank you...I hope that it is not the trigger for her.  For me, the trigger always leaves the system by 6 DPO but everyone is different I guess.  Thanks for your input...
Well, the numbers have to start somewhere. Was she getting an hcg trigger shot, too? If so the 5 could be hcg from the shot and not the beginning of a pg. If it goes up that is a positive sign for pg. Most labs will tell you negative on beta if under 20 or 25. If next beta is a 10 or higher is a very good sign :) For the first day or 2 of pg, 5 is not a bad #.
Hi there, thanks for your answer...Yes she did the trigger shot...she was at 11DPIUI when her level was 5.  I was just concerned that the number was very low...but of course it's the doubling that counts.  She tested out her trigger so we don't think this is from the trigger.  I guess we have to just wait and see how it goes... Thanks for your answer...
That has to be a good sign :)
My friend just called. her numbers went up to 13 at 13 DPO!!!  They more than doubled!  
ya :) that is GREAT news :) I am so happy it wasn't trigger. I had an issue with that last cycle. The first cycle I did trigger, I did a test at 4 DPO and it was out of my system...well this last cycle I kept showing a line so I was getting my hopes up, then beta showed BFN. I am so happy for your friend :) I hope she has a happy and healthy 9 months :)
also, what DPO is she today?
Oh thanks!  She is 13 DPO and her beta today was a 13!
On 12DPO , my hcg was 6 and then 14 Dpo it was 12, unfortunately it didn't stick.    Anything over 5 is considered pregnant.  

Another time when I was pregnant (last Oct), my HCG was 250 on 17DPO.  Althought that pregnancy didn't stick either , that was a better HCG level.  

However, like Tina said, it's got to start somewhere.   Good luck !
hi. i'm new at this. i am going through ivf. my hcg level at day 13 showed at 9 but then showed at 13 at day 15, which i was told by the ivf nurse that it may not be a good sign. she told me to come back on day 17. i am feeling hopeless at this point but i am still going to go because i have so much faith in God to help with this. i just wanted to share this thought with you. thanks for your information on these hcg levels. sometimes its better to hear from a person who is in the same shoes.

chris