Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Bloating after egg retrieval

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Bloating after egg retrieval

Hi all! I just had my egg retrieval done 3 days back n have been feeling soo bloated ever since. I have abdominal cramps, backaches. But no weight gain so far though. Is this normal? I've PCOS, had 23 follies but they only managed to get 8 eggs, out of which only 5 fertilized. I'm terrified of OHSS. Is this the start of OHSS??
I was also VERY bloated after my retrieval, and I only had about 13-14 follicles total with 11 retrieved. My stomach also felt super sore after. The soreness did get gradually better, but the bloating basically continued until I stopped my progesterone/estrogen supplements at 11 weeks pregnant. I was never diagnosed with OHSS, though. I think your best bet is just to continue monitoring your weight and drink LOTS of fluids! And of course, if you start feeling gradually worse, or gain a lot of weight, call your doctor.

Best of luck with your transfer!
Thanks! I just did my transfer today. Keeping my fingers crossed! Just hope the bloatedness will subside soon...  :(
Bloating is very normal, I am not as bloated now but still noticeable bloated, they said it would last for a few weeks after transfer probably till I stopped taking progesterone so i don think you have to much to worry about but just look out for the signs of OHSS which is gaining 5 pound in one day vomiting and really bad stomach pains also if your urine turns dark and you don't have to pee very often. Also even if you do have mild OHSS there is nothing they do for it except tell you to take it easy and drink lots of fluids
Hi I just had 13 eggs retrived on Monday, I was on 300u of Menopur for 9 days, I went to the ER last night because I couldnt pee very much or very often, they catherized me and I felt better, I had 2 beautiful embies transferred today, and on my way home I started with the most horrific pain I have EVER experienced, then I laid down and gave myself my Crinoine (Progestrone) and the pain went away, but I look about 9 months prego! Is this going to affect the implantation and or possiblity of pregnancy?? I never had this on my first round.  Replies needed!!
How are you feeling today???  I have been thinking of you and hoping that you are feeling better!  I am sorry you are having to deal with this on top of your transfer!  It was wonderful to hear from you yesterday : )  I hope your feeling good after your transfer! And that your 2 lil embies are settling in for a long 9 month stay!!! : )

xoxo,
Melissa
OMG, I know how you feel I too just had 11 eggs retreived 9 fertilized and are all at 8cell stage 4d ago and feel like I am going to burst I have been drinking lots of gatorade and water after I eat I feel nausea and so much bloating and pain that I have been debating on going to ER for 8 hour wait to make sure my insides dont explode. I have my transfer tomorow and am worried that it might not work with how full my stomach feels. If this is OHSS it might get worse before it gets better if we end up preggo. This is my first IVF so not sure what I should be feeling, but with IUI I had some bloating. Good Luck wishing double SSBD.