Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Body Changes Before Implantation--Does It Happen?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

Does anyone know if the body goes through any changes really early on, even before implantation occurs? For example, does the uterus go through any changes really early on? The reason I ask is because this afternoon my uterus felt like it was being squeezed and pulled down. It was really weird and painful. I had cramps and a lot of pressure. Eventually it went away and was short lived, it lasted for maybe 20 minutes or so.

Also, what's the earliest implantation can take place? Anyone know?

Sending out truckloads of super-stickies!!!!!!
I think your body gets a signal that you are prego after implantation since that's when hcg starts being produced.  If it does not get that signal you get your AF.  So, I always thought that before implantation your body is kinda clueless.  I may be wrong about that though...
Hi Helen! Good to hear from you. I'm so glad you're still out here! Thanks for the input. I just wondered if these cramps could possibly be my uterus stretching. 6 or 7 days till I can test. Feels so far away. The only thing that has me wondering are the breakouts on my face, neck, chest, and upper back. How's your little one? You must be in heaven :0)

Hugs...
I read that right after implantation your hcg starts going up and your uterus starts stretching to accomodate the growing embryo.  I never had any stretching pains or pulling but I read on this forum that people who are expecting multiples have those very often.  In fact someone went to ER with uterus pains and found out that she was expecting triplets.

Sue, I am always following your posts and hoping to read about your bfp very soon.
Thanks, Helen. You have been a wonderful friend to all of us here and it is much appreciated.

What's your take on implantation. How early do you think it can it take place? I'm only 5 dpo today, by the way.
I think 5 dpo is the earliest time for implantation.  Typically it's about 8-10 dpo.  I guess you are stuck in the 2ww hell analyzing any change in your body.  I used to do that ALL the time, like a self-inflicted torture.  Well, 9 more days to go!!  Although I am hoping for an early bfp for you so that you can stop worrying!!!
An early BFP would rock! I've always wanted to have IB so I'd "know", but I've read it's not that common. Did you have it? I didn't.
a fertilized egg needs to spend 3 to6 days in the fallopian tube developing then can implant 4 to 10 days after ovulation can have symtoms (symptoms) 6 to 14 days post o.. they say u can get uterine and ovarian cramping starting  to 5 days post o..  they say u can start testing ur first morning urine on cd 24 or 25 or beta qualt at same time however hgc beta quant can be pick up 2 days after implantation aka 7 to 12 days post o.......  i am on my 2ww
Thank you
I came across a research paper that looks at rate of success of preg depending on implantation date.  According to this 8-10 days is the average.  I think i'm 2dpo but have little hope for this mo somehow, not feeling it.

.. check out this link

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/340/23/1796

Among the pregnancies that lasted 6 weeks or more, the first appearance of chorionic gonadotropin occurred 6 to 12 days after ovulation; 118 women (84 percent) had implantation on day 8, 9, or 10. The risk of early pregnancy loss increased with later implantation (P<0.001). Among the 102 conceptuses that implanted by the ninth day, 13 percent ended in early loss. This proportion rose to 26 percent with implantation on day 10, to 52 percent on day 11, and to 82 percent after day 11.

Conclusions In most successful human pregnancies, the conceptus implants 8 to 10 days after ovulation. The risk of early pregnancy loss increases with later implantation.

I get that stretching feeling in my uterus every month between ovulation and AF. I have only noticed that in the last year. At first I thought it was a good sign, but it is normal for me.
I am now 7dpo and iui, i have had some pink spotting since wednsday, just 1 time during the day. I woke up this morning with some cramping. Has anyone else had these symtons and could they be symptons of implantation? This was my 3rd IUI, never had these symtons with the other two.
For what it's worth, I had symptoms about 6-8 days after my IUI (I had mild cramping, dizziness and slight nausea)... it turned out I was pregnant, so I'd say any "different" symptoms that you have around that time frame could certainly be viewed as possible implantation/pregnancy symptoms.  
Good luck... I remember being in the same boat (ie: waiting, wondering, hoping, etc) and I wish many happy thoughts to all those TTC.  =)
How many Iu's did you have? The 2ww is horrible, I try to stay busy. Thanks for your reply, It helps.
That was the first (and only) IUI that I had done.  Sadly, that pregnancy ended in a miscarriage when I was 7 weeks... however, the symptoms (dizziness, nausea, cramps) were most likely due to the successful implantation and NOT the m/c.  I just wanted to clarify that so you wouldn't worry unnecessarily (the doc told me that all of those symptoms are from implantation/pregnancy in general).  

During all of my 2ww's, I did everything I could to keep busy... did little treats now and again too (DH and I would go out to dinner a couple times at a nice restaurant, go to the movies, etc).  But mostly, it helped SO much to come on this forum and talk to other women who were in the same situation.  Hope the time flies by for you!
Sorry about your m/c, hopefully you will keep trying. Your posy really help me a lot. this is my second week, I test on Sunday if no AF. I am still having mild cramps, similiar to PMS, but I am staying faithful. My DH and I do the same thing to keep busy.
I'm glad that my post could help you a bit!  =)

I didn't even think to add this in the previous post, but after that m/c, (by some miracle) I got pregnant again.  And I say "by some miracle" b/c I NEVER ovulate on my own (I've had to use injectables and meds to trick my body into ovulating) and we calculated that within @ 2-3 weeks of the m/c I actually managed to get pregnant.  We were not trying at all (in fact, our doc had instructed us to hold off on taking more meds and ttc for at least 6 weeks so that we could get emotionally healed)... so the fact that everything was timed perfectly w/o actually timing it was just a miracle in our eyes.  And that pregnancy resulted in a beautiful, healthy, BIG baby girl (born at 9 lbs 6 ozs)... she's 7 1/2 months old now!  

That's my story.  
Please keep me posted... I look forward to hearing your results on Sunday (my fingers are crossed for you!).  
Congrats!!! God knows what to do when to do it!!!  I will definately keep you posted, and say a prayer for me!!
Will do!  I'll even say a couple for you!  =)
Hey ! I'm 14 years old about to be 15 and I mite be pregnant I sall on here you seem to give good advice .... So can I ask some questions