Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Brown flow mid cycle? What do you think it could be?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Hi there,
This is something that has never happened to me before and I apologize in advance for my graphic description.
My period finished ten days ago. Today, I had a small dark brown flow. Not exactly spotting but not heavy either. I only needed a pantyliner. When I wiped, it had a little bit of bright red blood mixed too. I had unprotected sex with my husband twice after my period because we are currently trying for a second child. I doubt I am pregnant, because that would mean I ovulated between cycle day 7-11, which is way too early. I have also been charting my temps every morning and it does not indicate that I have ovulated. I have no other symptoms, no itching, no pain, no cramps, the brown flow did not smell bad to me. It just smelled like nothing. I have not been under alot of stress, I've actually been having a great week.
I don't know what is happening to my body :-( should I be concerned? I feel fine.
This bleeding can be due to intermenstrual bleeding. Main causes of spotting between periods could be due to pregnancy, birth control pills, infection in an area of the body related to menstruation (including the vagina, the cervix and even the bladder). Other causes could be polycystic ovarian syndrome, diseases of pituitary gland, hormonal imbalance of estrogen and progesterone and uterine abnormalities like fibroid and  cervical dysplasia. Your doctor may consider tests like blood sugar levels, thyroid function test, prolactin, follicle-stimulating hormone (FSA), estrogen, and testosterone. Imaging studies, such as ultrasound, X-ray, and CT scan may also be recommended in certain individuals.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you so much for your reply.
I have seen my doctor yesterday and he was not concerned about it. He did however, make me a requisition to get a pelvic ultrasound done.
I asked him if it is maybe endometriosis or cysts but he said he doesn't think so.
My ultrasound is on april 10, I will post back here about the results.