Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Can ovarian cysts give a false positive?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

I took a hpt this morning because I wanted to see "pregnant" for myself.  I read the infromation in the box and it said that ectopic or ovarian cysts can give a misleading result.  Does that mean they could cause a false positive or a false negative?  Do ovarian cysts produce HCG?  I thought they only produced progesterone?  I am confused.  I really hope my level doubles tomorrow..it is so hard to wait.  By the way, I forgot to mention that I know that I have three cysts on each ovary which is why I am concerned with a false positive.  Could a blood test for pregnancy be false too?
nope, an ovarian cyst can't cause a false positive : )  sounds like its the real deal! CONGRATS and i'm hoping that you have wonderful numbers today! good luck! we'll be waiting for an update!!! tons of SSBD!
From what I have read on the internet, there are some ovarian cysts that secrete hcg, but they are very rare. I would think if your number is doubling appropriately and the doc knows about the cysts, everything is on the right track or he would tell you otherwise!

Stay positive and keep us posted!! :)