Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Can the follicle size grow more?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Can the follicle size grow more?

Hello All,

Today is my CD 12. I had my ultrasound done, and the nurse told that I have some small follicles, one 13mm follicle and one follicle < 10mm, may be say 6-7mm.(not sure about the exact size of the second one). My question is, is it possible that this little follicle may grow to mature, by the time that I ovulate? What are the chances? Please let me know. I am still waiting on my blood work results.

Thanks,
Akapoor
What will likely happen is the 13mm one will remain the dominant follicle, and will continue to grow. The egg is usually not released until the follicle is about 22-24mm. The smaller one will probably stay where it's at.
It grows around 2 mm a day... (that is what the Dr. told me)
Good Luck!! Jacquie
Hi, I had 2 follicles on cd 11 sizes 9mm and 11mm. When I went on cd 13 they hadn't grown so I thought it was over. Then when I went again on cd 19, I had 2 new ones of 13mm and 14mm and on day 24 I o'd (two follicles). So what I'm saying is don't rule anything out. These things are very strange!
I went for an u/s on day 14 and my dr said mine were at 15 she said that they should be at least 19. She told me that I should O in about 2 days from the u/s. I hope that helps. On day 21 I had blood work and she did say I did O.
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your responses. I got my blood work yday. The nurse said it looked fine and she asked me to come again on Friday for u/s and bloodwork, sice t'rrow is the holiday. She said that I shd be having intercourse on Thrusday nite. When I asked whether it is a possibility that I cld ovulate on Thrusday, she said it was very much a possibility. My question is, if I ovulate on Thrusday, then what is the pt in having U/S on Friday? As per my knowledge only follicles, but not eggs are visible on U/s? And this time, they had told me to take HCG shot, but she said that I shd not take the injection w/o getting their approval first. So, if already ovulate on thrusday, then what wld be the pt in taking injection later?
I am very confused. Please help.

Thanks,
Akapoor
I went today and had a dominant one of 15, runner up of 13, and 4 other slightly smaller ones.  Today is CD 8 and I am on Gonal F.  They are having me take trigger shot tomorrow night and IUI on Fri, and Sat.  I wish it wasn't a holiday tomorrow because I'm sure they would give me another ultrasound before trigger.  Nurse says follicles will continue to grow over next day:-)
Hope this helps and good luck
Good luck to you. Please keep us posted. I have my next U/S on Friday. I wish too that t'rrow was not a holiday.

Thanks,
AKAPOOR
Hello. I am 43 yrs. old. It it day 10 of my cycle and my dominant follicle is 18mm and I have two more that are 14mm. I am going in for my egg retrieval on day 12. Do you think the two follicles that are 14mm have the potential to reach 18mm before my egg retrieval? If not, is it even worth it to go in for an egg retrieval with only one developed follicle.
Had cd7 u/s today and follicles were 9, 6.5,5 mm on right and 3 5 mm on left is this normal on CD 7 ...Doctor asked me to increase my dose from 50 iu of puregon to 75 iu for next 2 days. he wants to have U/S on 9 th day...........wht do u people think....this will be my 1st iui with puregon........

before this 3 cylces of clomid(50,100,100mg)+ BD failed .............

any suggestions before going to IUI and wht should we do tht will have greater no. of success?
Hi, my follicles were around 20- 24mm yesterday. And the transfer will take place in another 2 days. Any idea if they are getting too big?
mine egg size is 2.9 n 2.6 cm n doctor said it is big ... i m ttc from more than 1 year what does that mean n what is its disadvantages
helo to all of u.  dear friends I want to ask a qestion from u . i was ill from last two months. so doctor adviced me for a scan. i did it. the result was ...=(dominant follicle in left ovary 19mm. right ovary is normally identified. no fluid is seen in the CUl-DE-SAC)..... docter said everything is right no need to worry. but i m fearing that wat this follicle actually is? may it cause any problem in my pragnancy wen i will be married? i m depressed please tell me about this wat is follicle and what are the problems that can be caused by it?
According to what I've read the follies grow about 2mm per day, so you will be fine!! My prayers are with you!!
Hi I went for my 2nd  b/w and u/s on day  7 of my cycle and he said he seen 1 that was 15 and he said others didn't really grow since 2 days ago  them being at 12.8,8.5 he said it didn't look that great???Not really sure if I have only been doing menopur,puregon for 6 nights those numbers I would assume are high are normal or maybe I'm wrong??So 2 more rounds of injections,plus now Orgautron then back on Sunday for U/S and B/W.Soo confused:(