Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Chlamydia 12 years ago.....Now infertile??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

In 1995 I got pregnant when I was in my teens and immediately I recieved prenatal care. i mean the whole name yards all the way till I gave birth to my baby. Well a week after he was born I had to take him to the emergency room because of his eyes, he had an infection (i was told caused by chlamydia)I didnt think anything of it I was young then. 6 weeks passed I recieved my 6 week check and up everything was fine. A year passed I and  I went for my yearly exam and the doc told me I had chlamydia and gave me medicine for it. (i guess i had it for atleast a year dont know why it was ever caught when i was recieving prenatal care) I was  never told of the concequences at the time just that it was a STD. Couple of years ago I read it can cause infertility. My son is 12 now and I havent been able to conceieve. Could my tubes be blocked from this? Could it be possible that I am infertile? And if so can it be reverse? How can I find out? I've been trying for 5 years now but never mentioned it to my OBGYN I guessed I am embarassed but I cant help but wonder. WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO CONCEIVE AGAIN?? Can some one shed light on this situation. Had anyone experienced this before?
I know that chlamydia can cause infertility.. i'm not sure why and if you can reverse it.. but if you have been trying for 5 years I would definatley discusss it with your OB.  Their may be some other problem that needs to be corrected.  Good Luck
chlamydia can cause endometriosis which in turn can contribute to infertility. I was just diagnosed with endometrititis which is the "sister disease" to chlamydia. Endometrititis is a pelvic inflamitory disease, like chlamydia, but it is caused by an infection due to miscarriage or child birth when the cervix remains open and vulnerable to bacteria entering the reproductive system rather than being transmitted sexually like chlamydia. My doctor told me my chances of conceiving might rely on having a D&C which is an operation that involves scrapping the scar tissue from my uterus and filopian tubes which is caused by endometriosis. I would talk to my doctor if I were you and go over options and your symptoms. Don't feel embarrassed because I can guarantee that they have seen and heard MUCH WORSE! Best of luck.
I had Endometriosis and had surgery for it (a lap). It is NOT a sister disease to Chlamydia. I had never been pregnant or had children when I was diagnosed. If your doctor gave you that info, you may want to get a new doctor!! I'm really sorry that you were given such bad information regarding this. Only extreme cases cause infertily.

You should discuss your concerns with your MD (and don't be embarressed) they've heard much worse. trust me.
If there is a problem due to the past infection...there are tests they can do to pinpoint it...and possibly correct.
Actually in a way Gina has it the gist of "her" problem... as everyone is different (so so are different illnesses) that was probably the way it was explained to her by her MD and is not wrong. I work at a lab and for certain situations that does fit the discription (and how we'd explain it)of endometritis (which is different the endometriosis)

Pelvic inflammatory disease
Hey
I had an std multiple time but got treated and now um having problem getting pregnant..can I get pregnant still????