Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Clomid and Blood Clots?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

Clomid and Blood Clots?

Hey there! My name is Cheyenne and I have been on the Maternal and Child forum since Mar of 07. I have a 19 month old son. I am not TTC, but my fiance and I have been talking about it after we get married. However, I was just diagnosed with PCOS with very high testosterone levels. Doctor put my on Metformin to help, and we will go from there. The doc told me it was a miracle that I got pregnant with my son based on my hormone levels and everything. He told me that fertility meds will probably be needed for any future pregnancies. We are going to wait and see what happens, but I did have a question. I know that most people start off on Clomid, and I was wondering if anyone had taken Clomid if they had blood clots in the past? I had blood clots in my leg after I had my son and was told I could never take hormones again....no estrogen, nothing. I can't take birth control or anything....!!! I am not sure how fertility meds work, but are there any that don't require hormones??? I am really worried that because I have PCOS, I won't be able to get pregnant on my own....and because of the blood clot history, I wont be able to take any meds! Anyone with any advice on this would be helpful!!!
I've done Clomid a couple of times. 5 rounds the 1st time and I think 3 the 2nd time. The only s/e I ever had was hot flashes and a little blurred vision. Hot flashes seem to be the most common. Some women say it makes them very irritable, too. I haven't heard of anyone getting blood clots from it. But, with every med there is a list of s/e a mile long.  I am sorry to hear about the PCOS. I remember you from M & C :0 )  I used to hang out there all the time. I didn't even know there was a Fertility forum.
Well, I've never had a blood clot, but I do have Factor V, which puts me at higher risk of developing one. I've also been told not to use birth control (which is not an issue, since we're trying to get pregnant anyway), but my RE thinks fertility meds are OK in my situation at least. I asked about it a few weeks back when he mentioned possibly moving on to IVF (which would be a LOT more meds and much stronger than clomid), and he said that they would use a protocol that didn't require birth control pills, but that all the other meds should be OK. He said that when you're pregnant, your body will have much higher hormone levels than when on the meds anyway.

I do take a baby aspirin a day, though, and once pregnant, I'll be on lovenox injections.

I'm sure your doctor will be able to give you some more information on all of this, as it probably varies a lot from person to person, but I have a feeling clomid will be fine for you :-)

Best of luck!

Thank you. I currently take a baby aspirin as well, and I too will be put on lovenox injections. I looked some info up online, and clomid is not recommended for people at risk for blood clots, but I will ask my doc to be certain. I am debating on going back to school so I probably will not have to worry about it for a few years!

Thanks for the info!
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers