Clomid for men
Dear Dr.,

My husband and I, both in our early thirties, have been trying to conceive for 1 year and 2 months, without success. My husband did a sperm test and his count was only 7,2 million/ml and the volume was 9,5 ml (according to the urologist the high volume could be the cause of an infection).
The doctor prescribed him Clomid, Ginseng and also Ofloxacine, Celestene and Polysilane for the infection.
After 3 months of taking the medicine the results were even worse; the sperm count was 0.1 (volume: 7 ml)!
So my questions are:
- can Clomid decrease sperm count and is this only temporarily?
- do you think that the decrease has to do with the intake of Clomid? If so, how long should we wait for it to go back to the old count?
- if Clomid didn’t help, does that mean that the low sperm count has nothing to do with his testosterone level, because I read somewhere that Clomid can only help men with a hormonal imbalance.

Thanks in advance for your reply
My RE put my dh on clomid last cycle.  It seemed to increase his count.  I have read that it may not increase the count and that it really is for hormonal imblances.  Nonetheless, I have not heard of it decreasing the count. I think you should have more tests done to look into what is going with the count as that is a drastic drop.
But remember, on the bright side, it only takes 1, although I know we like to hear high #s, reality/science calls for 1.
Hang in there.  Let us know what you find out.

baby dust!!!

marline
My DH was put on Clomid this past summer. My DH's count went from around 15 million to 2 million. I know exactly what your going through. We haven't dont another SA yet. We will for our first IUI in a couple of weeks, but my RE did say his count should go back up as fast as it went down. How long was your DH on clomid? I definatly think the Clomid is the reason for the decrease just because the same thing happend to us. Do they know why his count is low? Good luck I hope his count goes back up soon :)