Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Clomid or Femara???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

Clomid or Femara???

Hi ladies I am pretty sure I didnt o this month so my RE is probably going to put me on clomid but I wana to get some advice on it. I was on Clomid for 6 months last  year with no success and i was also very emotional and moody on it .And I had heard that it can cause uterine thinning. So my question is which is better Clomid or Femara??? Should I discuss with her which one is best for me or should I just go with the clomid?? I live in Canada so i dont even know if they have Femara here?? Just looking for peoples opinions.

~thanks Nikki~
Tags: clomid, femara
depends on each individual.  I was on clomid 6 cycles and no success also clomid thin out my lining which can't have eggs to implant.  This cycle dr put me on Femera.  I believe you should talk to you RE first before take clomid since you already took clomid for 6 cycles.  I heard Femera is very good.  There is a lady in this forum got pregnant on Femera along with follistim injection.  as  long as your uterus lining is not thin, you are have higher chance to conceive.

good luck to you.
This is just my opinion of course, but if Clomid didn't work for you, then it would probably make sense to try something different.  I took them both and I definitely had less side effects on the Femara and i know it's supposed to be better for your lining and your CM.  I would definitely talk to the doctor about it.  Femara is really a breast cancer drug, but it's "off-label" use is for Fertility, so I think some doctors don't prescribe it.  If you search online about it, you will find a lot of scary info. on birth defects, but I have found that it leaves your system really quickly, so this is only a cause for concern if you take it while you are pregnant (Clomid has the same warning).  I have seen a lot of women with success on Femara, so it could do the same for you!  Best of luck to you.
I'd try the Femara given the side effects of Clomid and your lack of success on it.
Just FYI: I think the study that found birth defects was done in Canada, so it might be a little harder to get it prescribed there. However, the study was on women who used Femara WHILE they were pregnant, and it has since been challenged. Like candie said, since it is used prior to ovulation when TTC, it is already out of your system by the time a possible egg implants.

As for the pros and cons. I think clomid has a better chance of giving you multiple follicles, but Femara has fewer side effects. Like the other ladies said, clomid can thin your lining and dry up fertile cervical mucus...but only in some women (I think the cervical mucus issue happens in about 1/3 of women). So, I would just discuss your options with your doctor, like you said.

Best of luck!
k thanks for all of your input ladies.