Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Clomid vs. Injectables for IUI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Clomid vs. Injectables for IUI

Hoping those that have experience with IUI and the meds that go along with it, can help me out. I just did my first IUI with clomid my last cycle and I got a BFN. I am going to try IUI again however, should i talk to my dr about switching to injectables? With my first round of clomid last cycle, i got 4 follicles that were decent sizes. 20mm, 16mm, 12mm, 13mm. My question is, would injectables give me more eggs thus making my chances higher for conception? did anyone do clomid and IUI and have it not work only to switch to injectables and get a BFP? My dr's approach for me was 3 rounds of clomid/IUI, 3 rounds of injectables/IUI and then ultimately IVF if all else fails but wondering if we should re-think that.

thanks!
I am in the same boat... I have done 2 IUI's with 100mg Clomid. I have had at most 2 follicles that matured and this time they aren't cooperating. I'm wondering if injectables is next or do I up the clomid to 150mg once? Hopefully we can get some advice!!
I just had my first IUI with 100iu of follistim for 6 days, but I don't respond to clomid at all.  I think it depends on the person if you are producing follicles with clomid I would go with your doctor's plan.  All the statistics that I have read about success rates for IUI the drug did not matter, just how many follicles you had (ideally 3-4).  So looks like your right on target, sorry it didn't work for you this time.  But you have a 25% chance each cycle with drugs and IUI.  

Don't get me wrong I completely understand feeling like you might be wasting time but, if you have 3-4 mature follicles go for it!
ps injectables are suppose to make your follies larger, mine were 21mm, 19mm, 15mm, and 10mm, so they are not too far off from yours.   Good luck I hope the next works for you both!!
wanabb - thanks for the info. I guess if I responded well to clomid - I should do it again. The only thing i need to ask my dr is what his thought is on my uterine lining. It only got to 7mm last time even when i was on estrogen which he said was ok for implantation but i read it really should be above an 8. I know thin lining is a side effect of clomid.  
I was only producing one large follicle, and once I think I had 2 that were mature.  So, my next step is 150 mg, and if that doesn't work, we will move to injectables.  I am on Estrogen as well, as the Clomid thinned my lining.  It worked for me though and I saw it thicken and improve with each day I took it.  Yes, 8 mm is ideal, and at least what my doctor wants to see before they give me the ovidrel.

So during my baseline U/S, it was discovered i have a small ovarian cyst so this month's IUI will be cancelled. We will be trying naturally this month. anyway - the dr suggested we take the injectables for next cycle's IUI, if i don't get pregnant this month. which is highly unlikely due to this cyst. Anyway - his reasoning behind the injectables was that clomid was making my uterine lining thin which is a side effect of the drug. it only got to a 7mm even with estrogen.
I am just starting my first ever IUI.  I have done two nights of GONEL-F & do another tonight.  Tomorrow I will go back to dr for blood & sono & find out the next step.
How many days on average are drugs usually given?

I am praying for all of us but am sorry for the girls who's IUI's didnt work.

- Donna