Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Conception dates?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Conception dates?

I would like assistance with a conception date if possible. I had sexual intercourse on 24 march 2012. My period then started on 25 march 2012 and I had a normal 4 day period / spotting at the end.
On 4 April I had an ultrasound ovarian scan and had not yet ovulated though the dominant follicle was visible (scan was to rule out cysts).
Between 8 April and 10 April 2012 I had unprotected sex and have since found out I am pregnant. I have had several scans because of bleeding and the dates and measurements are as follows -
8 may, 6 weeks 2 days, measure 6 mm.
21 may 8 weeks 2 days 17mm CRL.
31 may 9 weeks 6 days 30.1 mm. 7
June 10 weeks 2 days 34mm,
13 June 11 weeks 4 days, 49 mm.
24 June 13 weeks , 69mm
7 July 15 weeks 3 days (whihc pre dates my LMP??_ measuring 96mm
I have been given a due date of 29 / 30 December. This changed with my scan yesterday to 27 december 2012.
Is there any chance I could have got pregnant from sex on 24 march? Thanks for your help with this.
There is really no chance you have gotten pregnant and then have your period!
Use the first ultrasound.  Babies grow at different rates, so for the purposes of dating, only the ultrasounds under 9 weeks are accurate enough.  Is the problem that you are worried about the last ultrasound?  If so, don't worry, it just means the baby is growing.

Your 8th of May ultrasound came out exactly at the first day of your last period, which is how it should come out, since pregnancy is dated the medical way, i.e., by the first day of the last period.  (When an ultrasonographer says 6 weeks 2 days, she is not saying that is when you conceived.  Se is saying that your embryo is the size of an embryo of a woman whose first day of her last period was 6 weeks 2 days ago.  This would mean you conceived more like 4 weeks 2 days prior to the ultrasound.)

Even if the 15 weeks 3 days were entirely accurate (removing the variation in rate of growth of the embryo), it would only mean that you conceived about 13 weeks 3 days ago. sometime in early April.
Yes, it the last ultrasound, which seems to predate the date of my last menstrual period that has alarmed me most... was unsure if this just meant the baby had a growth spurt and so was bigger at this point than usual...

My concern is that any sperm from 24th March could have lived through my period in my fallopian tubes past 4th April (as i defniately know that i still hadn't ovulated at this point because of ovarian U/S).

The internet can be a scary thing as it suggests that some can live this long, that conception prior to a period is possible and that ultrasounds can be out by two weeks (even though they have all been consistent with an EDD of 29 December) so i have worried myself sick and made my self paranoid which isn't good when you're pregnant. Thanks for your help and any more you can offer, it is much appreciated indeed as even the sonogrpahers haven't really been much help when have asked for explanations.
Sperm might last a long time in a person's system, but not ten days, as I understand it.