Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Crinone (progesterone) - for how long

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Crinone (progesterone) - for how long

I had my 4th IUI last Thursday.  3rd IUI I did get pregnant, but it didn't stick.

This cycle my doctor gave me crinone to take for 7 days, at night starting first night after the IUI.  I used the last one last night.

My progesterone levels haven't been tested.

I have been looking online and driving myself nuts as there seem to be so many possible protocols for taking crinone.

So, does the 7 days sound within range, or should I be taking it for longer?

We didnt do IUI, we did a medicated cycle with injectables and I took progesterone for 12 weeks.  Ask your dr to test your levels and see if you need it for longer, you may not.   My REs protocol is to give it to everyone for 10 to 12 weeks but every dr is different.  Good luck to you.
That seems short to me. Normally, you would be prescribed progesterone for 14 days or so, until you can test for pregnancy. If pregnant, you'll probably stay on until you reach 10-12 weeks; if not, you would just stop taking it at that point.
You basically take Crinone until the levels of progesterone seem ok. Most of the time the body produces enough progesterone to keep the pregnancy trough cysts in the uterus but the doctors prescribe it as a preventative measure in case the body does not do that on its own.
If the doctors know the embryo did not stick they will stop it since the pregnancy is not viable, otherwise they will keep you on progesterone and will do regular blood work to make sure everything is OK... so maybe your body IS PRODUCING ENOUGH PROGESTERONE and that is why they stopped the crinone. My last pregnancy I had 2 huge cyst  in the uterus producing progesterone so I did not need Crinone at all.. but the again that was a natural pregnancy. (which i just miscarriaged at 9 weeks) On my other IVF I did take Crinone until the pregnancy was not viable or the results were negative:(

Sorry but keep the faith:)
I took prog injections then switched to crinone until I was 9 weeks pregnant. but as everyone said, just have your doctor check your level. As soon as your body catches up, you don't need to be on it unless your RE is overly cautious like mine and kept me on what was probaby a little longer than necessary.