Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
DIfference between Menopur and Bravelle?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

I have a question:

I used Menopur for a few months (about 6 months ago) when I did shots and now my doc wants to switch to Bravelle when I restart them next month. My question is  - any difference between them? One work better? One more expensive? Anyone have any stories, especially comparing them. Thanks girls... HUGS and SSBD!

Jen
Hi Jen! I'll be taking a combination of menopur and bravelle for my IVF. The difference between the two is that menopur has both FSH and LH, while bravelle is FSH only. I think they're pretty close in price (at least they were through the online pharmacy I used).

But hopefully you'll get your BFP this month, so you won't need either ;-)

The LH is supposed to help mature the eggs while the FSH makes more eggs (went on their website). Now I am scared I will get a few more eggs (was averaging 1-2 with the menopur) but lower quality (which is what I am reading). C R A P! That would put me at a higher risk of a bad egg getting fertilized and having another m/c. What good is crapppppy eggs? I can have a basketful of eggs but if they are crappppppy - what good is that?  AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Guess we can just try and see what happens ;)
Bravelle is 2 % LH and the rest is FSH while Menopur is 50% LH and 50% FSH (I think...)  From what I recall Bravelle is closer to Follistim and Gonal-F (FSH meds) than Menopur.
I did menagon last month (menagon is the IM injection form of menopur), I did not respond well at all. It took until day 22 before I got the hcg trigger.  And I did not get my BFP.  This month I did femara and fostimon (the european equal to bravelle), and I was ready for trigger by day 13, I had 2 good follicles. It worked much better for me! I know everyone is different, but hope it works well for you as well.  I am only 5 dpo, so don't know if it gave me my BFP yet, but at least it is a much better cycle so far.
Helen - yeah that's what I read. Which makes me think I will respond better (more eggs) but they may be immature eggs. Don't want to go through another m/c if the egg is immature and it is the one that gets fertilized. :( Hubby keeps telling me to stop researching (got into a HUGE fight over it last night). He tells to just relax...WHAT? I want to know everything I can, because not everyone who is supposed to be helping you is actually helping you.

wishing - thanks for the help! I needed a pick me up and it sounds like bravelle worked for you.
Bumping it up :) Anything else?
I took Gonal-F (similar to Bravelle) + some Menopur for my ivf protocol and responded really well.  Everyone is different though...
You are a science teacher, of course you research everything!!!
Helen - I KNOW! Hubby just doesn't get that! UGH!
Am scared starting Ivf meds tomorrow bravelle and menopur ??? Any tips?
Hi Bridget! Just wanted to give you an update on my IVF cycle, since this is an old post from 2009....It worked! I used Bravelle and Menopur and had 11 eggs retrieved. All 11 fertilized, and by day 5, we had 2 transferred. The remaining 5 embryos were frozen (4 of the embryos did not survive until day 5). I now have a beautiful 15-month old baby girl! Best of luck with everything!