Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Depo vera

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Depo vera

I want to know when I am likely to regain my fertility as I have been on the shot for the last 18months/2yrs.  My partner and I have decided to Have a baby and I was just looking for some advice.
Hey, Butterfly2180! I've never been on Depo provera, but I looked it up and found this:

"Dear Dr. Greenfield,
I'm currently on depo. My next shot is due at the end of August. My fiancé and I have decided not to get the next shot so that we can try to have our fourth child. After which I plan to have a tubal litigation. How long do you think it may take for me to get pregnant?
— Mellissa in New Hampshire

ANSWER
July 16, 2002

Dear Mellissa,
Depo-Provera is a great contraceptive, but it does have a few drawbacks. While each injection is totally effective for three months, the effects can last much longer than that--sometimes continuing for eight months or more. Therefore, it can be hard to tell when your fertility will resume, and your periods may be absent or irregular until you start ovulating again. Usually, a woman will be cycling normally 12 months after her last shot."

Hope that helps!

If you are not having a normal cycle after 12 months (6 months if you're over 30), I would recommend seeing a specialist.  I was on depo for a year, and it took me 6 years to get my cycle back.  But I didn't go to a specialist until early 2007 (tried several OB/GYN's first), and he had my cycles back on track in just a few months.  I am now 13 weeks pregnant.  I really wish I hadn't wasted so much time, and had gone to him sooner.  I think some women just need a little help getting back on track.  Good luck and I hope your cycles return to normal quickly!
i took depo shots for 4 yrs and it took me 7 months to get my cycle bk but 4 yrs later im still not pregnant!! but every1 is different and wanting is right the sooner u get ur cycle bk on track the better off u will be.

Thank you for your comments, Im really worried that it might not happen and that i will be trying for years but wantingbabies has given me some excellent comments.  Thank you all so much xx