Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Devastated...is it all over??? 10 days past Embryo Transfer...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

My Husband and I have just had our first go at IVF, everything went fantastic, treatment could not have gone better, resulting in 11 fertilised embryo's, 9 of which were grade 1, 8 cell embryo's - we had one embryo transferred on Thursday the 18th June and 8 embryo's frozen. The doctors were very confident and even said themselves that treatment could not have gone better and our chances of success are very, very high. I am now on Day 10 since ET and have started bleeding :o( I had some slight dark brown spotting yesterday but today it has turned bright red and almost "shiny" with small clot like bits in it, also having period cramping. It is not as heavy as a normal period, but certainly just like the beginning of it, and certainly much, much more than just spotting. I am absolutely devastated and heartbroken, I would have though it was too early for my period as Egg Retrieval was only the 15th of June. My official test day is not until Tues and I just can't believe I am bleeding now, is it all over??? I am so upset I won't even get to have the excitement of a pregnancy test without any bleeding or not being 99.9% sure it will be a bfn. It has been such a hard few years, after 2 early miscarriages and 2 horrific ectopic pregnancies (resulting in the loss of both tubes and need for IVF) I really thought that this was our time, I am just gutted. I guess I want to know has anyone had IVF and had bleeding before test day and still got a bfp and everything been okay????? I am clinging onto the hope that a miracle will happen and I am somehow pregnant, even with the bleeding...I realy don't think I can handle the alternative :o( Any and all advice will be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

SarahKate xxxxxxxxx
Sorry only 9 days past transfer, not 10. Apologies xx
I am sorry - but why did they only put back one embie?
I dont have an answer for you but wanted to say I am sorry you are going thru this..I hope and pray that everything will be fine.
Love,
Lily
Mysty - Our clinic strongly advised we have a single embryo transfer, as the chances of success so high, treatment went so well, with perfect embryo's, our good health and age etc (I am only 26) and because of all the risks associated with multiple birth. Also I have a strong family history of premature birth and placenta previa, I was born very premature, with placenta previa, as was my big sister who sadly passed away shortly after birth, my Mother, two Aunties and a few cousins were also very premature. So the risk of having twins or triplets on top of all that, we felt was just too much of a worry, coupled with my history of miscarriages and ectopics, It was a personal choice given much heartache and consideration, we did what we felt was best for us.

Lily thanks for your kind words.

I really hope someone else can help me I am in absolute bits.
If you want to see a bfp, and think you are or were pregnant so it is worth the trouble, send your husband out to get an early results home pregnancy test, one of those that advertises on the box the earliest possible results.  (I think First Response Early Result sometimes can get an accurate reading 5 days before the period is due.)  If you had retrieval on June 15, you count that as your ovulation day, so the 29th would be 2 weeks from then, and many tests can pick up accurately by two weeks from ovulation.  So you really don't have to wait to test, you could test in the morning with first morning urine.  

The other thing is to lie down and stay down except to use the loo and eat, and to drink a lot of water to stay well hydrated.  Both things calm uterine contractions.  If you are bleeding due to the loss of the embryo, you aren't going to stop the loss by doing this, but if you are only bleeding because a blood vessel has broken or something like that, and it is being exascerbated by uterine contractions from being active (i.e., walking) or being dehydrated, well, you can calm those contractions by not walking and not being dehydrated.  My IVF clinic uses the rule to stay down until 24 hours after the bleeding has stopped.

It *can* be a bleed from some other point in the uterus, a blood vessel that broke, a little tear, and you will find the baby humming along fine despite the rushing of the blood going by.  Don't give up until told by your doctor absolutely that the transfer didn't take.

Good luck, sweetheart.  I had bleeding with my first IVF pregnancy (a vanished twin) and it DID NOT cause the loss of the other embie.  Stay down, try not to cry.  One way or the other, it will be fine in the end -- you have your frosties still, don't forget.

All the best --

Annie
My nurse told me that patients bleed about 50% of the time and still get a BFP. I know its hard but try to stay calm until your blood test. This does not mean you are not pregnant.
Sarah I am so sorry to hear this.  Your RE is right in that 50% of the time women do bleed.  I have been through 2 IVF cycles this year and both times started bleeding 3-4 days before my test date.  I really wish I could give you a positive story but I would keep my head up if I was you and pray that you will get your BFP.
I really feel for you and am thinking about you! i am so sorry you are going through this....i too just did my first round of IVF and did have good news at first, but according to my dr's and my blood tests, i am, unfortunately having another m/c, but i am not bleeding. I will keep you in my prayers and please keep me posted!
hope everything works out for you =)
Hi everyone thank you all so much for all your advice I appreciate it so, so much.

Sadly is it not good news girls :o( IVF has failed and the bleeding that started on Saturday was definitely my period. I did a First Response test Sunday and Monday and both were BFN :o( We were back at the clinic yesterday to confirm it all with another test, which of course was BFN also. We are just absolutely heartbroken, words cannot describe it. After treatment went so well I am just gutted.

But on a positive note, the clinic are very keen for us to go straight ahead with a Frozen Embryo Transfer, which we will be doing after my next period, so it will be around about the end of July / beginning August. We will be having a review meeting at the clinic where the whole case is reviewed and talked over and where they will decide if anything should be done differently re; luetal phase and implantation support for FET. The hope now is that FET could work for us as my body will not have to go through all the stimulatin drugs, the poking around and the trauma of egg retrieval also. FET will be done "naturally" within a normal cycle. They were quite positive about this and after all we do have 8 beautiful embryo's waiting for us, so we are going to keep going, determined to get our baby. We just have to keep trying until we get there and try to stay strong.

Has anyone else had FET or going to be having FET???

Really sorry to hear about all your sad losses and the horrendous journeys you have all had girls, it makes me so sad to know how many women go through the pain and heartache of all this, this world is a crazy messed up place :o(

Lots of love to all and I really look forward to getting to know you all

SarahKate xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, Sorry to hear it didnt work out this time.. I know how heartbreaking it is..just stay strong and be positive. (which is what I am trying to do as well)..I have to believe it will happen for me and you! I will keep you in my prayers and my fingers crossed that your FET goes well and you get your bfp soon!
Take Care,
Lily
You are doing the right thing by taking your sadness and turning it into the drive that you need and the determination you have to continue towards a positive pregnancy.  You have eight frozens waiting around for you.  Good luck and please keep up posted.  I went through two miscarriages myself - and I know how much it *****!!

Good luck to you and your DH
Thank you so much Stefanie and Lily (((((((((HUGS))))))))) I really appreciate your support and my heart also goes out to you both, this world really is such a cruel place :o( But we have to keep going don't we? We can't give up and must stay strong and fight, fight, fight for what we want and truly do deserve. Of course I will keep you ladies posted - I really wish I had found this forum a long time ago but only discovered it in the last few weeks!!

Fingers crossed and ********BABY DUST*********** to all xxxxxxxxx

I am sorry this happened to you, I just completed my 1st round of IVF and it was a bust as well.  You and I have probably cried the rivers full by now.  I did not have any frosties though, Lord knows I wanted some.  Congrats on yours and I pray they work for you.  Lots of future baby dust your way!
Sarah - I wish I had found this forum 8 years ago when I first tried IVF and then did it again for a second time, only to come up short with 2 miscarriages.  Instead we cry our eyes alone - and hope for the best.

This site is filled with great people.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers