Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Distended Cervix - PLEASE HELP!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

Distended Cervix - PLEASE HELP!

I am very newly pregnant and had my first OB appointment today.  He did a pap smear and told me my cervix is distended.  He said that could mean low implantation...therefore not a viable pregnancy.  :(  He told me not to worry because his opinion is "subjective since he's never examined me before" and maybe my cervix is like this all the time.  I wasn't told anything was wrong with my cervix when I was pregnant with my daughter.  Is this pregnancy doomed?  I have an ultrasound scheduled for April 8th.  Is there any hope?
*bump*
You got in today for the u/s? It doesn't sound like anything I would be worried about. Everyone's cervix is different (especially if you already had a kid! It never goes all the way back to normal!) - the guy NEVER should have said that!!! I have no idea what the hellllll the cervix has to do with implantation unless that fertilized egg is hanging on to the very edge of your cervix and going to fall out (not possible BTW!). Your doc sounds kinda weird...you sure you want him delivering your baby? :) HUGS! Let us know how the u/s goes...
Does your cervix change after having a child?  That would make me feel better because it would explain why no one ever said that to me before.  I could NOT wait the two weeks so I am going in today.  Problem is...they may not be able to see ANYTHING because I'm only 4-5 weeks.  I'm not expecting to see a 'baby' yet...I just want to know that it implanted in a PROPER place.  Hopefully at least a sac!?!?!

What he was referring to (I later found out) is what is called a cervical pregnancy where the fetus actually attaches to the cervix and not in the uterus (it's a form of ectopic).  I am just hoping my little bean is in the RIGHT place!

I'll let you know how it goes.  :)
I still don't think you have anything to worry about :) He still sounds like a quack :)

After giving birth, your cervix is NEVER like it was. Look up pics on google of cervixes. They look like doughnuts with mouths :) hee hee. If the mouth is shut very tightly (don't see anything past the "mouth") that person has very likely never given birth. People who have given birth, their cervix never closes all the way back up. It is always a little open.

Hope this helps :)
I will be thinking of you all day today and especially at 3:15. I think Jen is probably right. It seems this doctor doesn't know what he's talking about. Is he a new doctor for you?

Love and Hugs...
He is a new doctor for me.  He actually replaced the OB who delivered my daughter.  He was sort of "doom and gloom" to begin with...not very upbeat overall.  Not "Dr Death" or anything...just kind of quirky.  He comes to my hometown once a week which is amazing, I am familiar with the hospital already, and I know his nurses so I'm trying to 'suck up' the fact that he's not particularly amazing.  :)  We'll see how he handles my situation at 3:15 today...it's not too late to switch docs!  I'll update as soon as I can!
Yeah - I still don't like him :)

If he says anything else - punch him in the face and then say "Ooops - these preggo hormones can be a real b**** sometimes... best be nicer to me from now on :)"

Hee  hee ----- that would hilarious, no more doom and gloom then!!

Jen
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers