Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Do I Need to Hold Urine 4 Hours with OPK????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

Hi. My gyn told me to use ovulation predictor kit to tell when I ovulate because I am doing an intracervical insemination this month.

But I read on the OPK that I have to hold my urine for at least 4 hours. My problem is that I had surgery done 2 months ago to remove an endometrioma cyst from my right ovary. They damaged my urethra when they put the catheter in. The urologist told me that my urethra is inflamed, and therefore I cannot hold my urine for more than 2/12 hours max.

Will the OPK still work if I cannot hold my urine for 4 hours? Will my urine be concentrated enough to detect the LH surge?

Hi there!

I think the more important thing with opks is to limit your water intake.  Do you think you could do that for 4 hours before the test?  If you do this, you can hold your urine for 2 hours and be just fine.

I do my opks in the morning.  I always have the best results with fmu (and the kit I use suggests using fmu).  I'm sure because of your surgery you have to get up during the night to use the bathroom but at least with fmu you'll be assured of a concentrated specimen because of not drinking anything for hours (sometimes I will go to the bathroom at like 7 am and then again at 9am and test at 9am and it works just fine!).

Good luck!
Yes, I can definitely not drink anything for 4 hours before my test. I just can't hold my urine for 4 hours!  =)

Thanks for your reply. I was so worried that the opk wouldn't work because I can't hold my urine for that long.

My gyn also told me to test during the evening because he said the LH surge is not concentrated enough in the morning? But you just mentioned that you tested positive in the morning around 9am?

My RE gives the instructions to test between 2:00pm and 4:00pm each day and stop drinking all liquids at 12:00pm.  
yes..I've tested positive many times in the morning.  The kit I'm using right now actually recommends using FMU though the kit I used last time recommended testing between 10-8pm.  So I've seen different things!

I like to test twice a day (just because I'm neurotic like that) and I have had positive opks in the morning (anywhere from 8am to 9am to 10am) that were confirmed with a positive in the evening.  So if you have enough tests..you could try testing twice/day.  

Holding urine for 2 hours will be fine if you stop drinking for awhile before.  It's worked for me!  :)
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers