Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Do patients respond similarly on Femara as on Clomid? Advice please!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

I am on round #5 of clomid but not feeling hopeful since my lining was only a 4.2 on day of trigger (have been taking estrace but still not feeling hopeful that it helped enough).  So I am expecting my beta to come out negative and to start my next cycle next weekend.  I'd like to discuss trying femara for this 6th cycle instead of clomid since it thinned my lining so much for this cycle.  But..I want to know..can I expect the same type of results from femara as I have with clomid?  On 100 mgs of clomid, I have had a mature follicle ready for trigger on Days 10 and 11.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I have never taken clomid only femara but I am guessing if you respond to clomid you also would to femara even though they work differently (clomid binds to estrogen receptors whereas femara inhibits the enzyme which actually produces estrogen)  Regardless your body recognizes when estrogen is low and starts pumping out fsh to make the follies and that is what is impt.  
With your thin lining I would definitely bring it up, as femara should not do this.    But it may take awhile for all the clomid to get out of your system since it has a long half life and you have been on it for 5 months.  Did they put you on progesterone after ovulation?  My lining was only 6mm on the cycle I triggered which resulted in my daughter but I started the progesterone after ovulation which they said would also help build it up and it seemed to be enough for her to stick!
Hi there:

Thank you so much for your response!

Yes..I'm on progesterone suppositories in addition to the estrace.  For all cycles I've done the progesterone but this is the first time they've had me add the estrace because it's the first time I've had a thin lining.  I haven't had a follow-up ultra-sound but I'm really hoping that the combination of the estrace and the prog. made a difference.

If I get a BFN, I'm going to ask my RE about trying femara and see what she says.  

PS-Congrats on your daughter!  And I'm sorry about your cyst!  :(
I've also never take clomid....just Femara and I've gotten pregnant 2ce from taking Femara!  Some Dr's don't like to prescribe it (very few) but my Dr wouldn't even think of putting me on clomid.....He believes that Femara is much better....based on my results I have to agree!  Good luck and I hope they'll switch you!  (Femara is more known as a drug for breast cancer patients but it works wonders for us ttc!)
The only downside to Femara is that although I hear it works great many doctors still do not presecribe it for ovulation. It is not FDA approved for fertility issues so many of them refuse to even consider recommending it. Which is very unfortunate. It does not hurt to ask them tho. :)   Good Luck!
I'm wondering what the reasons are for Fermara not being approved by FDA.....I've heard that Fermara does cause birth defects..any other reasons?
I myself did one round of femara after several cycles with clomid.  Unfortunately I didn't respond.  I am back to doing clomid.  Have you tried any natural supplements to help with your lining?  It doesn't hurt to ask your doctor if he will prescribe you the femara if you are unsuccessful this cycle.  From what I can remember femara is used in, I believe, cancer patients and they somehow found that it was helping with ovulation or something along those lines.  One good thing about it not being listed as an infertility drug is your insurance might cover the cost.  Good Luck to you and hopefully you get a BFP this month and the femara isn't necessary :0)
It is approved by the FDA for the treatment of breast cancer. It is considered to be used "off-label" when used to induce ovulation.
Here is more info on Femara vs. Clomid

Several small studies have looked at Clomid vs. Femara for the treatment of infertility. Some of these studies showed that Femara is more effective than Clomid, while other studies showed that they are equally effective. A few studies have suggested that Femara may be effective in cases in which women have not ovulated while taking Clomid (these women are said to be "Clomid-resistant" or "clomiphene-resistant").

There is some thought that Femara may be less likely to cause negative effects on cervical mucus and the thickness of the uterine lining, compared to Clomid. Although Clomid is usually effective at causing ovulation, it can also cause problems with cervical mucus and the lining of the uterus (which may explain why some women ovulate on Clomid but do not become pregnant).
I have taken both.  When on Clomid I had absolutely NO CM and my lining was only at 6mm at CD13.  The past 2 cycles I have been on Femara and been much happier.  No headaches or crazy O pains.  PLUS my lining did not thin out on Femara.  I responded with one mature follicle on each ovary on both 100mg of Clomid and 2.5mg of Femara.  (I think that was my dose)

Unfortunately, I havent had any luck on either of them, but that doesnt mean that you wont have better luck than me!

I would definitely ask the Dr.  The worst he/she can say is no.

g
I was on clomid for 4 cycle and yes my lining was good but after clomid it was thin from 13 to 10. I was in good condition means my cycle but clomid did all the trick from irregularity to no bleeding, longer period and late ovulation and no CM ..ufff but we didn't know this all so just waited for 4 cycle.
It is always good to ask so many question and tell ur concern about the result to your doc. My RE was simply following the rule of the clinic but when I got all the knowledge and feedback about procedure than I start asking question and  my options and according to that we decided what to do next.

Good Luck !!!

Lots of good info here already, but just wanted to comment on the birth defect issue. This is only a concern if you take femara WHILE already pregnant. And in ovulation induction you would of course only be using it before ovulation.

:-)