Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Does an hsg test hurt??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Does an hsg test hurt??

Does an hsg test really hurt or no???
Hi there-I had one back in February.  I wouldn't say I would want to do it again...lol!  But it really wasnt' that bad.  I had read horror stories and I was so scared but it was completely fine-my RE gave me an IV with a little bit of a sedative so I am sure that helped.  It is a great diagnostic tool and if it gives you answers it is most definately worth it.  Best of luck to you.  
Uncomfy and a little bit of moving around while attached to things but not that bad. Did they tell you to take Motrin an hour before?
Yeah - I think its different from person to person.  I took some motrin before I went because they said I might cramp afterwards.  I was also scared out of my mind so my doc gave me 1/2 a xanex =)

Needless to say, I remember them doing it but I didn't feel any pain...kinda like a pap-smear since they have to stick the tube up there.  

It was a tad painful, but nothing that crazy.  The advil before helped was helpful.  Reading information about it on the internet made it sound way more painful!!  Good luck.  Just try and relax about it ;)
It was painful for but only for a few moments. So worth it and I would do it again. I got pregnant with my daughter the following cycle. :)
Yeah they told me to take advil,motrin or a few other ones as long as it is 600-800 MG an hour before.. yeah i keep checking out info online and the way the put it, it hurts. everyone is differeny tho so we will see how bad it hurts next friday..Thanks for the info..
It was just like a pap smear and it doesnt hurt at all for me and it was only 3 to 4 mins. But 5 days before the hsg they gave me some antibiotic and 2 hours before hsg i took 2 advil.
Gosh, I think I've had 4-5 of them done in the last 3years. Mine was crampy during the process and also the pinching, but the worst for me was a few hours later that day. It felt like the worst menstrual cramps I ever had! I'm not trying to scare you, but every person feels pain defferently so just be prepared! You can take 2 Tylenol about 30-40min before hand to help with it... Good Luck!!!
I took advil before and it didn't hurt one bit. And I was really nervous it would hurt, so was pleasantly surprised. Probably helped that my tubes were clear.
Mine didn't hurt either. It felt a little weird having the liquid flush through, but not painful.

Like some of the others pointed out, it really varies from person to person...but it seems like most of the women who have a lot of pain also have one or two blocked (or partially blocked) tubes, while open tubes are less painful or not painful at all. But either way, the procedure is over pretty quickly, so you should be fine either way.

Best of luck next Friday!
Yes... but giving birth hurts more :) We woman take all kind of pains and do it without hesitating. You will be OK!!! That test is VERY important:)
They couldn't give me the final results from my test because my vagiga kept pulling the device out. I still wonder If my tubes are blocked or not but it doesn't matter if you do IVF, at least what is what the doctor told me.
Hi i had an HSG on 9th nov and it was very painful for me,infact it made me ill and i think had an infection afterwards.I had an eptopic pregnancy that nearly ruptured and the pain from that wasnt as bad as the HSG.But i know its different for everyone and for me it was agony and i dont know why yet?still waiting for the result from my doctors even though they told me it all looked normal im not too convinced because of the pain i endured.I dont want to scare anyone but i just wanted to share my experience with everyone.
My HSG hurt but I have a blocked tube (found out from the HSG). The good thing it is VERY quick. They are in and out in a few minutes. The actual dye going in was what hurt me. Afterwards I was a little crampy but that was nothing. The cramps went away pretty quickly for me after the procedure. It kinda made me feel pukey, like a stomachache pukey. But it is nothing compared to childbirth :) The best part was I got to know that my one tube was blocked which helped A LOT in my next cycle. I had mine done in August or Sept (I can't even remember) and got preggo in Nov (it didn't stick but HEY I did get preggo) and I think it cleared some "cobwebs" out :) It usually helps with pregnancy for a few months afterward so it is TOTALLY worth it! Good luck! I agree with the xanax thing if you can get some. I should have tried that! :) Hugs and good luck!

Jen
i am a complete sissy...and read so many things online about how horrible it was. So dont make yourself stressed about it. It is very uncomfortable, but u will be alright. I had it built up to be way worse than what it was...it is a bit painful but very quick. Its not that bad dont worry !!
THANK YOU EVERYONE for your help i feel some what less worried.they gave  DOXYCYCL HYC to take thursday friday and saturday.. what ever that is.. I HOPE IT GOES BY FAST THO .. But iam making my husband go.. and yes then something an hour before i go on friday..  
Mine was in August and I was really scared about it. It wasn't pleasant, but if you take motrin and deep breaths, it will be over fast. Once it was done, I felt no pain, but just had some mild cramping afterwards. Everyone is different though!
They let my hubby go in and I just grabbed a hold of him :) Good luck girly! It is one of the best tests to get!

Jen
mine did not hurt.  i too took motrin before hand i didnt feel anything, it was like an annual pap smear type feeling.  i thought it was kind of neat to see my uterus on the tv so i focused on that and didnt even think of anything else.  i also had my fiance with me.  i really felt nothing.