Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Does it ever get any easier??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Does it ever get any easier??

I am just wondering if anyone who has been ttc for awhile has any advice on how to deal with the disappointment month after month?? I have been ttc for 6 months now and just got AF today :( and all I feel like doing is giving up!! Any friendly advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Don't give up. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 2 years. I found out last summer that I have endometriosis. I have never had any symptoms, and I didn't find out until a laparoscopic procedure was done. Then, I had to go on Lupron therapy for 6 months to treat the endometriosis; and I could not get pregnant during the therapy. In January I went to a fertility doctor who began to check things out further. I then found out I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome; which means I'm insulin resistant. The PCOS prevents me from ovulating correctly. So now, I'm taking a medication, Metformin, to regulate my insulin and hopefully help me to ovulate on my own and get pregnant. If I'm not pregnant in two months (I'm hoping i am now!), i will go back in and start fertility medication. I say all that to say, "Don't give up!" I understand the disappointment month after month because I have been there. I'm still holding on because my GOD specializes in answering prayers. I am believing and trusting the Lord to bless us with a baby. He has provided comfort and understanding for my husband and I. Have faith and trust in The Lord!  Our, your family and mine, blessings are coming soon. I will be praying for you. God Bless!
I totally agree with Someday_Soon! I've also been trying for two years and though its been rough each month when aunt flow comes, I have realized a long time ago that this situation is one that I truly don't have control over. Though I can be proactive, there is nothing to actually do to make that egg and sperm meet. I've let it go and have given it to the good lord above because he knows what he's doing and he WILL answer my prayers in his time!

While I wait, I exercise, enjoy my husband because its just us, enjoy friends, having drinks and honestly just living... I don't symptom spot anymore during my two week wait and the last thing which I think really helps. I don't test early. Unless my cycle is late (which never happens) I don't test. I just let my cycle come and move on to the next month. I promise I understand. It will happen!!! Good luck and stay strong.
It took us almost 3 years to conceive, so we know how hard it can be. It's really hard not to get discouraged or want to give up. Some months were worse than others. One of the most helpful things for us was prioritizing time together. We set out to have fun activities together and little vacaions/getaways. We would take a drive for a day trip or plan an overnight getaway or even a long weekend vacation. It gave us something to look forward to and take our minds off of trying to conceive. The months that we were the busiest tended to be our less disappointing months when we didn't conceive. I can look back now at the last 3 years and know that even though it was hard, we still enjoyed time together and had fun.
Wishing you the best and don't give up. Still take time to enjoy each other and have some fun.
We've been trying for over 3 years. I think the only thing that helped me was answers.  I have been content since I found out my DH has no good swimmers.  I also have cystic ovaries and possibly endometriosis. So once we do donor sperm IUI we will cross the other bridges as they come.
Just know that one day it will happen. Knowledge is contentment. Everyone is different. And using this time to build a better relationship with your partner is, I think, the best possible use of infertility time.  It is also a distraction a bit.
SSBD to you!!