FERTILITY / INFERTILITY / IVF
COMMUNITY
Does low progesterone prevent me from getting pregnant?
by ShySana, Jan 09, 2009
My blood test came back a 3 for progestrone and since my Dr is off today my nurse has to spk with the other Dr to see if i can be placed on progesterone suppositories.  She cldnt or wldnt answer any of my questions so it has left me a lil freaked out to be honest.  I am hoping someone can answer my question and wld really apreciate any information.
Member Comments (11)
by bny807, Jan 09, 2009
Hello! the good news is that at least low progesterone is very easily fixable! just add a supplement and make sure you are in fact ovulating!  Typically they say that a progesterone over 10 is a sign of ovulation.. so if you didnt' have documented ovulation this cycle you might not have ovulated.. otherwise if you did and your progesterone is this low then it can make implantation harder for the embie... Mine was a 5 or something like that before being on supplements (but i wasnt' ovulating either turns out) now i have meds for ovulation and take progesterone and that seems to work well! GOOD LUCK! : )
by Heather5Blank, Jan 09, 2009
Hi ShySana! When was your progesterone checked? Was it at around 7 days past ovulation? If so, then yeah, a 3 is low. But if you're not exactly sure when you ovulated, then your levels might still be on its way up...or possibly even down. Like bny said, a level of 10 or more is usually considered good at 7 dpo. IF it was tested at the right time and you did in fact ovulate, then a progesterone supplement should take care of the problem. Best of luck!
by ShySana, Jan 09, 2009
I hvnt had a period since Nov whn I was given provera to restart my period and then clomid to help me ovulate. Which I did.  My dr syd tht maybe i just needed to jump start my period again an tht i shld be normal well dec passed an no period.  So i did the blood test Tues and now i have to wait for my dr to review bc the other Dr sys tht I am on the borderline of what i have no idea.  So now i have to wait this weekend to find out what is happening.    
by Mehro, Jan 10, 2009
hello,
well i also had a low progesterone problem and since i was trying for baby for last 22 months then my dr gave me clomid with progesterone supplement in form of tablets as i have luteal phase delay problem and the good news is that now i am 9 weeks pregnant so hope for good and discuss it with ur dr. everything will be alright have hope .
praying for u too..
best of luck.
by Heather5Blank, Jan 12, 2009
You know, if you haven't had your period since November, a low progesterone number might not necessarily indicate you have a progesterone problem. It might just be a result of the weird, long cycle you've been having. Are you sure you ovulated after using clomid in November? Either way, I hope you get an answer soon, so you can get back in the game! Let us know what your doctor says, and best of luck!
by ShySana, Jan 12, 2009
Spk w/nurse the Dr is order a rund of provera and clomid again so I will be starting those again tonite.  Anyone knw if i cn buy progestrone in some form just to up the chances?  
by Heather5Blank, Jan 12, 2009
Hi again ShySana! Glad to hear you're moving on to a new cycle soon! You can buy progesterone cream over the counter, but it's not as effective as getting it prescribed by your doctor (the prescription is usually either as a pill or a vaginal gel). Plus, it's very important to only take it after you know for sure you have ovulated...otherwise it can actually prevent ovulation. If I were you, I would ask your doctor if he/she can do a sonogram after ovulation, and then see if you can get a prescription. Are you seeing an RE?
by ShySana, Jan 12, 2009
No RE just my reg OBGYN who also specialezes in infertility.  I lucked out on tht one.  Thnx for the adv I am gonna do tht for sure.
by fairy24, Apr 17, 2011
hello,

here is my story. i am 29 years old and i have been TTC since june 2010 with no success. My progesterone is low. Tried clomid but did not work, tried femara (an alternative to clomid) but its not improving my progesterone.  my periods are regular and my husband's sperm count is good.  i cant detect ovulation because i dont see any mucus. sometimes i see little and sometimes i see nothing. so i dont know when i am ovulating. i do blood tests on the 21st day of my cycle to check hormones, but still progesterone is low. can anyone help me as i lost hope!!