Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Donor Eggs/Donor Sperm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

Donor Eggs/Donor Sperm

I noticed a lot of information and posts about donor eggs but not a lot about the use of donor sperm.  I am at a point where we are considering the use of donor sperm.  Is this more of a taboo (morale issue) than donor eggs?  Just wondering why the lack of info?  Possibly could be there is a higher need for donor eggs than donor sperm?  

Anyway, If you used donor sperm, what was your experience?  
I think it is more common to use donor sperm than donor eggs.  The concept has been around a long time, sperm banks are well known and understood, etc.; so probably that is why you see fewer posts about it.   I don't think it's 'taboo,' though it is possible if donor sperm is used for a married couple, you won't hear the child's daddy talking about the fact that the baby was created using someone else's sperm because he might fear someone would think him 'less of a man' or something like that.  You sure hear about a lot of single women who use donor sperm.  

There is probably not a higher need for donor eggs than donor sperm, there is just a lot more availability of donor sperm.  (A guy can produce a million sperm in an ejaculation, a woman might produce fifteen eggs in a go if lucky.  There's a lot of sperm available.)

Don't have any data for you about your last question.