Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Dropping beta numbers. Could there still be one?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Wed feb 13  was my 14 dpo my first beta test and my number was 11.5 I had a 3dt and Friday I went back my numbers were 8.4 I had two embryos put in she said it could be possible I'm losing one possibly both I pray that it's only one I want this more then anything I go back Monday for more blood work and she says there won't be any bleeding until my hcg reaches 0. I have a five year old the only reason why we are having to go through ivf is bc my husband had a vasectomy after his son was born. This is our first cycle. Jut curious if anyone has has levels drop so low and still had one embryo take. And if there is a chance one baby is still implanted why do the numbers still drop? Will the numbers go back up by Monday? I had a positive hpt at 13 Dpo but took one late wed afternoon after the news from the dr and it was negative I have one more that I plan to take probably Sunday. Most hpt require a beta of 20+ to register
Just got the news from todays appointment 16dpt (19 dpo) my beta number went from 8.4 friday to 22.8!!!! Numbers are still considered low but they are going back up! I keep reading on the vanishing twin and late implantation, I wonder if its one or the other or both? Go next week for an ultrasound and more bloodwork. Please keep your fingers crossed!!!!
Sending prayers your way for good beta numbers! Keep us posted!!
My fingers are crossed
Just a mid week rant....I took another pregnancy test on Tuesday (Feb19) morning it showed up positive again (after my negative the previous friday Feb 15 and the positive i got on the 12th) Now that the dr appointments have slowed down and I dont go back still for six more days the anxiety is killing me. I wish they would call me in for one more blood test just to see for sanity sake that my numbers are still going up. I worry about the late implantation if things are going to be delayed on the ultrasound if everything will still measure right on the 5 week 6 day ultrasound or if the babys heart beat will be nice and strong. Hoping the next few days fly by!
My doctor had me coming in every other day for blood tests after my initial HCG level check. That pattern didn't stop until after my first ultrasound. I wonder why such a gap between your visits... Maybe you should call the office and ask some questions?
I have no idea I guess bc of the strange pattern in my levels there's no other way to determine what is going on until we are far enough along to be seen on ultrasound which is about 5 1/2 -6 weeks which I also read that they and pick up anything until hcg levels reach 2000. I ran into a girlfriend d mine this weekend and she said a similar thing happened to a friend of ours that her levels dropped lower then mine they told her they were certain she would miscarry and she had scheduled a d&c and everything then the morning of that apt she had an ultrasound and everything was fine she went fill term and had a very healthy boy. So that was good to hear after the past two weeks being such a roller coaster!!!!! Just still keeping fingers crossed that I will have a similar success story!
Had the ultrasound this morning. Both embryos took but for some reason stopped growing....they are not sure why they stopped growing or anything else of a direct reason but started me on a new protocol for after I end all medicine now and will be able to do a frozen transfer in April.
So after sitting on this a few days, I have had no cramping no bleeding nothing. I called back today to get the results of blood work. My beta number went to 482.1. If it went up that much (in 9 days) then how am i going to miscarry? Yes the numbers are still low for 5-6 weeks but still. I dont feel like there is anything wrong, i dont really feel pregnant either I still have some slight symptoms, nausea off and on and still tender breasts. I stopped my medicine wed after my appointment so today is the third day with out progesterone inserts, and shots and the estrogen patches they had me on. I called my OBGYN that i went to with my daughter, and they are going to do a second opinion ultrasound on Monday as well as more bloodwork. Something tells me that my babies are fine. I may be indenial or whatever you want to call it but I would feel better hearing it from my other dr as well.
There may be a chance that you have blighted ovums, (sacs with no fetal poles developing) and that would keep the HCG going up for a period of time.  I hope that you have a miracle story though, and that both your embryos are doing well with healthy heartbeats.

Please keep updating.  
I've heard multiple stories of similar situations where the first early ultrasound suggested a blighted ovum or no heartbeat and the repeat ultrasound shows a healthy baby or babies. It's smart to go for the second opinion ultrasound. I hope you are able to prove your doctors wrong and have healthy babies. Wishing you the best and sending prayers your way!
Thank you guys so much. I am keepin my chin up and hoping for the best myself this had been the biggest emotional roller coaster to get broken into the ivf with (our first try) ESP after having a normal healthy natural conception and pregnancy before. It's Sunday and still no cramping or spotting. I stopped my medicine from wed until Friday afternoon which was when I got a hold of my obgyn and the nurse said to just stay on the meds until I saw them Monday afternoon. I am still hoping this is all just late implantation with a weird unexplained twist!