Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Ectopic and Uterine Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Ectopic and Uterine Pregnancy

I went to the doctor for my first visit today (from last cycle 8 wks) and we had a vagnial ultrasound that showed a sac in the uterus (no visable heartbeat or 'dot') and a either an ectopic pregnancy or ovarian cyst.  They have asked me to come back in a week for another ultrasound and call tomorrow for results of the blood level test.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is it possible to have a viable uterine pregnancy and an ectopic pregancy as well?  Should I be able to see the baby this early?
I would definitely say it isn't an ectopic pregnancy which is in the tube and pretty dangerous once diagnosed.  I have had an ectopic pregnancy and from when they find it out to when they surgically remove it is a matter or hours or at the most a day or so.  This is because if the pregnancy bursts in your tube, they say you could bleed to death if not caught fast enough, thankfully mine wasn't that bad.  So really I wouldn't think it is that.
yeah if you released 2 eggs that could be.  good luck
It is possible if 2 eggs were released and fertilized. I'm not going to say it's not an ectopic because I have no way of knowing. But, it would be uncommon. There's a real nice girl on the maternal forum that just went through the same thing. Her's was a cyst that did dissolve on it's own. Congrats on the pg!
If what they saw in the uterus was definitely a sac and not a pseudo sac, then there's probably not an ectopic twin. It can happen, but it's very rare.

Sometimes, they can't identify and EP right away though. They suspected I had one around 6 weeks, but I didn't receive treatment for it (methotrexate) until a week and a half later.
I did have an ectopic and a uterine pregnancy at the same time.  I was undergoing fertility treatments and I was having alot of pain on my left side.  When we went in for our ultrasound she didn't see the heartbeat in my uterus and was unable to figure out what the area in my tube was.  I did receive Methotrexate that evening since I was having alot of pain for the last week.
I'm sorry to here this. if you check my bio i had this exact thing happen to me. i ended up losing my left fallopian tube because of it. in the end i lost the other embie that i had, it was even harder for me to handle because i say the heartbeat. i wish i could give you better news but if it is indeed an ectopic pregnancy as well chances are slim to non that you will end up with a viable embryo in the end.