Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Embedded IUD - Infertility Fears PLEASE HELP!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Friday I went to have my copper IUD removed a little less than 11 months after it was implanted.  Having inserted was an excruciating experience for me.  I have given birth naturally 3 times so I have good pain tolerance and I felt like I had been repeatedly stabbed during insertion.  Looking back, I think it was so painful b/c it was inserted too deeply and partially penetrated my uterus when it was put in.

Friday, the NP pulled on the strings hard enough that I had a shooting pain and the strings came off of the IUD.  The Dr then used clamps to dilate my cervix and spent the next 45 minutes blindly fishing for the IUD with a clamp.  She would get the clamp on, pull - I would have severe sharp abdominal pain - and the clamp would slip off of the IUD.  She had tried to use lidocaine to numb the cervix but it did nothing for the abdominal pain.  I am now signed up for an ultrasound guided repeat of this experience.  The IUD is embedded.

My thought is... she was already able to get the clamp on well enough to pull hard enough to cause the shooting pain.  I suspect the shototing pain is due to stretching of the ligaments that hold up my ovaries/uterus b/c the thing is so embedded that my uterus is going to invert before the IUD is going to come out.  

My questions:
Should we just go straight to hysteroscopy (sp?) so the thing can be better visualized and possibly debrided off?  How often with embedded IUDs is surgery required?  Is there a type of specialist who would be better suited to dealing with this - my OB/GYN has only had 1 other embedded and used the U/S guided method of getting it out.  I desperately want to have 1 more child and am willing to go anywhere to a specialist to up the chances that this horrendous experience does not leave me infertile.  Once this thing is finally out of me, is there anything I can do to help my uterus heal?

Feeling crampy/painful from the ordeal and depressed and lost about how to proceed.  My youngest child's life is on the line and I want to do everything I can to make sure I get the chance to have him/her in our family someday.

Please help.
Kirsten
I know that this is an old posting but....I am having the same problems. For the last 4 years, I have had nothing but straight stabbing pains right above my c section scar. I have the IUD placed 4 years ago after having my twins and I have the Marina in place. I can't take the pain anymore, so last week I went to the OBGYN and told him I wanted the darn thing removed. He told me that he needed to see if he could still see it. He looked, and long and behold...he couldn't see the strings. They had to do an U/S the next day to see if the darn thing was still there, which it is, it has embedded into my cervix, about 2 inches above my c-section scar. The nurse that called me said that on Monday (today) I would need to come in and see if the dr could remove it with some clamps, if not, I have to go on the operating table. Scary stuff. I have a lil weight on the front of my stomach due to the amount of weight that I gained during my pregnancy and the weight that I gained while having the IUD in place, which if you go to the marina website, this is a side effect. I am worried that if the surgery does take place that it will not heal because of the access tummy that I have. I'll update this posting when I get back from the dr. office today.