Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Embryo donation for research

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Embryo donation for research

I am going through my first cycle of IVF, and my partner and I would like to donate any "extra" embryos for stem cell research.  Does anyone know who we donate them too?  I can't find any info online.  All I can find is embryo donation for people looking to have a baby, and though I find that a very nice thought, we are not comfortable with the idea that our child will have siblings out there that we don't know.  Any info would be great.  Thanks!
Have you asked your clinic?  I thought once you made the decision to donate the embies for stem cell research (or anything else), the clinic took it from there.
We also made a choice to donate the embryos to stem cell research. We had to sign document papers saying that was our decision and they didn't discuss where they donate too. Just make sure with the clinic they know your decision.
Our clinic had us sign off on all such questions before they would even take us on as a patient.  They had the forms.  No particular place was specified to receive the embryos, but definitely we had to sign off on the action we wanted to have happen.  Same with such things as if one of us should die what would happen to the embryos, and if we should divorce.  They covered a ton of contingencies that you'd never even expect to have to decide about.