Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Endometrial polyps and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Endometrial polyps and pregnancy

I am a 30 year old woman diagnosed with endometrial polyps. I was having prolonged (2 months straight) of heavy bleeding. My doctor prescribed Ortho-Novum and it stopped the bleeding for a little while, however when i had intercourse with my husband i started spotting. I have had a miscarriage and desperately want children.I have been trying to conceive for 8 years until last month when my doctor put me on birth control pills to stop the bleeding. If i stop taking the birth control to try to get pregnant, will i start the prolonged bleeding again, and are the polyps what is causing my infertility? And what can be done about the polyps? My doctor suggested a D&C but i read that there is no guarantee that it will remove them.
Hello!  I had irregular bleeding for years and every Dr. I went to suggested birth control pills to stop the bleeding, and didn't investigate.  (TEN YEARS OF THIS!!!) I finally found a fabulous OB/Gyn Dr. who did a hysterosalpingogram (dye with x-ray) to see what was going on inside-- but everything appeared normal.  Then I had 2 months of too much bleeding and went back.  At that point a radiologist did a sonohistogram (ultrasound with saline injection) and found multiple polyps.  Depending on the time of your cycle, the polyps will be larger or smaller-- because they react to estrogen levels.  My Ob/Gyn Dr. used a hysteroscope and did a polypectomy (hysteroscopic polypectomy)-- used a tiny camera to see and remove the polyps.  A plain old D&C may just blindly scrape, and some polyps are really stuck to the wall and can't be removed so easily-- so a hysteroscope is very important!  I scheduled the procedure at approximately the same time in my cycle as the diagnostic sonohistogram so that the polyps would be very visible, just in case.  The procedure took half an hour, and was so easy-- I had it done 3 weeks ago and the recovery was also quite easy.  The polyps should be removed because a fertilized egg will have a hard time attaching to the uterine wall.  When I found your comment I just had to write immediately because my situation sounds just like yours.  I hope you find a fabulous Dr. like I did.
Thank you so much for answering my question. I was wondering if u were able to get pregnant and have a successful pregnancy after your treatment, and did u have a misscarriage?You never said in ur answer. My husband and I are still trying to have a child (nine years and counting).Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. You can can e-mail me at memes_girl***@**** if you like.
i had endometrial polyps and i had surgery and i have been trying get pregnant well after me surgery and i had recover my doc told me that i can start trying well i have not got pregnant and it has been 8 or 9 months and its driving me crazy